1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance Management targets for year 6 teachers.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jimiintheskywithdiamonds, Jul 7, 2016.

1. jimiintheskywithdiamonds

jimiintheskywithdiamonds New commenter

Hey all,

Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I am curious if there are any other year 6 teachers who have been told they most likely won't pass their PM targets this year based on the results.

Considering the mess of the tests, I feel 85% as a target is unrealistic. Is there anyone in the same boat, and any advice for discussing this with governors?

Thanks for any replies.

2. gill42

gill42 New commenter

My Head has told me not to worry about the 85% target as this was written before we knew what a fiasco this year would bring!

Northhead likes this.
  3. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

I would print all the DfE statements that explain these results are not comparable to last years etc.

How do you results compare against the much lower nationals? Are they on a par with last years or have you shown an improvement? E.g. if your school was 5% above the national average in Maths last year, are you still 5% above the national average this year? If you can present them with some data like that that shows the impact that you have had, you could justify your case.

I'm happy to give some more specific advice if you PM me with some actual data...

4. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

If during the year lesson obs,book scrutinies and in-school data has shown the teacher has been meeting the standards then it should be fine.

If data targets are used in PM then it's always been the case that just because they're not met doesn't mean the teacher has 'failed' because often there's reasons as to why! Any line manager worth their salt knows that.

I would also add that this is an exceptional year and nobody should be judged on data this year in y2 or 6. Those who are deemed to 'fail' on data alone need to appeal/ contact their union immediately!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Couldn't agree more Northhead ... explain the reasons why (that will take all of the meeting!!) and then show how much progress they have made.
    Even Ofsted are taking this year's results into account!