1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance management/lesson observations

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Queenofdisco, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Queenofdisco

Queenofdisco New commenter

Hi
    Has anyone had experience of removing lesson grades?
    Also looking at how anyone has used an effective system for recording teaching and learning in school? We'd like to record PM, observations and things like book scrutinies.

anyone know of any good systems or effective ways to manage this now we have a new OFSTED framework?

2. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I removed gradings and I would strongly encourage others to do the same. You can focus on the why/how rather then staff feeling deflated at a particular grade. Teachers should be judged 'in the round' through lesson obs, marking, data, parent feedback, pupil voice etc.

3. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

I have never graded a lesson as part of routine observations or for routine PM purposes.

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We use lesson study that focuses on learning.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I'm curious, can you explain more, digoryvenn? Or will that make you identifiable?

6. digoryvenn

No, it won't make me identifiable.

Lesson study is an approach developed in Japan. I think they call it Study lesson. Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire sort of promoted it for use in the UK. The focus is on learning and how pupils respond at different parts of the lesson. 3 pupils are chosen, typically low, middle, high. At the end of the lesson these pupils are asked to some questions to give their views of the lesson and their progress.

A group of three teachers work together to plan a lesson using a specific proforma. One teacher teaches the lesson while the other two observe the focus pupils. At the end of the lesson the pupils are interviewed and the teacher's evaluate using another proforma. Then the cycle begins again, planning the next lesson incorporating lessons learnt and another member of the group teaches the jointly planned lesson.

Teachers like it as it puts the focus firmly on learning and the pupils.
    If you google lesson study you will be able to download a pdf of he booklet and proformas.
    It is definitely worth a try.

7. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Thank you. Will look at that. Certainly sounds like it makes the children the focus, which is how it should be.

8. kevgeall

kevgeall New commenter

Hello all, you can find loads more about research lesson study here: http://lessonstudy.co.uk/
    Pete Dudley, who has been the champion in bringing lesson study over here, is very supportive and has even visited schools to help them get going. It has been a major thrust of our CPD for at least three years and the green-ness of RAISEonline seems to indicate that this hasn't been too much of a bad thing.
    The only thing I'd say is that it doesn't sit at all comfortably with accountability; it is getting teachers to plan, teach and evaluate collaboratively. While it is great (in my evidence-informed opinion) at that, as soon as you add judgment, whether with grades or without, you will take away it's major strength: that it liberates teachers to try new things and experiment.
    Good luck.

9. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Do you mean that it doesn't sit well with the current model of accountability? If so, I agree. If not, I disagree, as I think this level of reflection does hold teachers to account and encourages individuals to accept responsibility for making changes.

digoryvenn likes this.
  10. digoryvenn

Exacty right fineliner. It hold teachers to account very clearly for pupil progress.

fineliner likes this.
  11. kevgeall

kevgeall New commenter

@fineliner- the former: in essence great CPD but not great for informing appraisal/judging holistic quality of teaching and I inferred that this was what the OP was referring to.
    I agree with @digoryvenn that, if done properly, it is rigorous and puts pupils' learning at the front but is the product of collaborative work. At some point appraisers are making decisions regarding pay progression and, if I inferred the OP's intentions correctly, you'd struggle to use lesson study to inform that. Your mileage may vary. All the best, Kev

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

RAISEOnline?

http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/raiseonline-is-contemptible-rubbish

Lesson grading is just wrong. The process is not reliable and it is not a valid way of assessing teachers and should not happen. I thought this was common knowledge after Prof Robert Coe's work. The whole process of observing teaching and actually knowing what effect the teaching is having, is a veritable minefield...

http://www.cem.org/blog/414/