1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance Management - can SLT do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 1000trees, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Could someone with recent training answer this one?
    I have just received my new performance management document with an extra standard put as a target which was not discussed with my reviewer at the time. I may be working under the old system, but can a target be 'imposed' on you like this - I thought they were 'agreed' targets and I don't agree with this one, particularly without any consultation!
    Any thoughts welcome.

2. Could someone with recent training answer this one?
    I have just received my new performance management document with an extra standard put as a target which was not discussed with my reviewer at the time. I may be working under the old system, but can a target be 'imposed' on you like this - I thought they were 'agreed' targets and I don't agree with this one, particularly without any consultation!
    Any thoughts welcome.

3. Targets are agreed, and should really come from you with your reviewer only agreeing them....

4. This made me chuckle. What you describe doesn't happen in all schools! In fact a friend of mine went to her first performance management meeting at a new school with her targets ready for the reviewer and they said absolutely not, these are your targets. Having gone through the PM guidance documents with a fine tooth comb previously I was shocked at what they had given her. It seems that most schools are ignoring the guidance and imposing targets as they wish.
    If there is no consequence to the targets being met or failed then is it worth the headache of challenging SLT? My friend did and it got her nowhere.
    If it is pay related and the targets given are unreasonable then it becomes a serious matter.
    Shouldn't but can it seems. Have you signed it yet?

5. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Oh I ve had some cracking ones over the year...mostly at my former school (a place from hell which I count my lucky stars I left everyday of my life)
    'you seem to be going to the toilet a lot...you're not leaving the children are you?...have you got a medical complaint?
    'do you realise everytime you sit down in the office you sigh?
    'so then what are you going to do to get youre UPS 2 then? 'well, I thought I could lead the RRR agenda across the school'-' noway, not big enough...our NQT could do that...'
    x hows your Maths? erm fine I think (has been for the last 6 years of my career...anal HT and DHT had been routing round my classroom night before checking books..
    That school a PM interview was like a round from the apprentice (but with even worse people) thankfully in other schools it has been a gentle process where if you hit them or didnt it didnt really matter..

6. Thanks all - I had a hunch that something was up, but I can't find the document for performance management on line or in school to say what should happen. Does anyone know a link?
    Is it worth challenging? Now, not really but for the sake of the future, yes. PM may not have teeth at the moment I bet it will in 10 years time, where all your old objectives will be part of the cycle... Have I signed it? No! Any further info welcomed.

7. We have 3 targets.
    1 target agreed by SMT for all staff based on the SIP. This year it is about raising literacy levels.
    Then 2 that you can choose.