1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance management - being made to have a General Studies class

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by d2148j, Nov 30, 2011.

1. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

ok I am not sure where this should go but i'm seriously confused. Our school state that for performance management our class used to judge has to be an examination class. This hasn't effected me on last 2 years as I have taught only ks3. But this year because I am short on my teaching timetable I have been given a year 12 general studies class. I am not trained in GS. My problems are the students don't want o be there. Barely any turn up and generally if they do can't be bothered. I have spoken to head about but he is insisting that I keep them, although has conceeded that I can be judged against the 4 students who regularly attend.
    Is it right that they insist on me using a class which I'm not trained to teach?

2. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

ok I am not sure where this should go but i'm seriously confused. Our school state that for performance management our class used to judge has to be an examination class. This hasn't effected me on last 2 years as I have taught only ks3. But this year because I am short on my teaching timetable I have been given a year 12 general studies class. I am not trained in GS. My problems are the students don't want o be there. Barely any turn up and generally if they do can't be bothered. I have spoken to head about but he is insisting that I keep them, although has conceeded that I can be judged against the 4 students who regularly attend.
    Is it right that they insist on me using a class which I'm not trained to teach?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, they can. Most general studies is taught by people without any sort of training in it.
    You need to ensure you collect all possible data to inform these students' progress (attendance being one part of it) and show that you're doing all you can to modify their behaviour, chase their attendance (contact parents, etc), using the school's relevant policies and practice.

4. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

You could see it positively... Small class, no marking... Just keep your head down, collect a bit of evidence and you should be fine? Would you rather have another 28 books to mark?

5. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

more than I'm due for threshold next year and at current rate I'll have a massive negative residual

6. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I wouldn't worry about theshold being based on a few residual results surely? Threshold is based on a lot of things.