1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perforated ileum during cesarean section.. colostomy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by slingshotsally, Dec 5, 2011.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,
    My sister had an emergency CS on Wednesday during which she was delivered of a healthy baby. Unfortunately the possibility of a perforated ileum was not considered until Friday evening after a CT scan despite the fact that she had no urinary output in her catheter bag since the CS and the huge painful distended abdomen. A couple of hours after surgery they nurses hooked her up to a drip as they thought she was dehydrated- however despite pushing the liquids for 2 days there was still no output of any kind.
    On Friday she was taken to in to theatre to have her CS stitches opened again, in order to investigate had happened. At this point it became clear that her ileum had been perforated leading toa collostumy being put in place.
    Saturday she was unconcious, sunday she started coming round but very ill, filled with pain killers, every drowsy and still in pain.
    The reason I am posting is to find out whether a collostomy is a permanent thing of can it eventually be removed. She is extremely tired, very much in pain, exhausted and trying to adjust mentally to her current situation. The Dr's are saying that it may be removed in the future should the ileum repair and regain peristalsis(SP), however they are not being clear if this could ever happen.
    I would really appreciate if anyone could offer any advice.
    At one point we all thought she would die, we are so glad that she is still with us.
    BPG

2. Some are reversible, some are not.

Peristalsis is the way the various parts of the digestive system move what is being digested along. So from what you have said, if the digestive system is functioning normally then it can be removed, if not then there are other options such as removing the damaged tissue and reconecting, but that is something to discuss with the doctors.

3. As the others have said, some colostomies are reversible. One of the students I work with had a colostomy for 4 months which was then reversed (he has a long list of congenital medical conditions including digestive issues). The reversal involved him being in hospital for over a week while they were waiting to see if he would have a bowel movement. Once he was having regular bowel movements on the toilet again, they reversed it. There were other factors in his case though-he had a severe allergic reaction to the material of the colostomy bag and his skin started to blister and looked really angry. It also kept leaking. It depends entirely on the issues behind it.

4. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

My daughter had an emergency ileostomy following an undetected colonic
    rupture (which became gangrenous as it was undetected for 4 days) for 7 months,
    the doctors would not discuss the chances of this being reversed until they
    operated again to see how well the remaining bowel had healed. It may be a good
    idea to get in touch with the colostomy association - they were very helpful in
    supporting us during and after, and are very used to unprepared relatives!

http://www.colostomyassociation.org.uk/index.php?p=204&pp=3&i=

If you are considering action, please contact the AVMA - we were not
    going to sue until we were advised to by a very concerned consultant - the
    surgeon responsible was struck off - it turned out we were only one of a number
    of cases he had shown negligence in (another botched caesarean - I was very ill too - daughter was airlifted to another hospital)

http://www.avma.org.uk/

If you want to talk, contact me on PM.
    K

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Thanks for all your replies..
    My sister is still in hospital. The ileostomy bag is leaking, she is vomitting frequently and is in an extremely poor way. She was just under 9 stones whilst full term (pregnant), her normal weight is 8 stones but her current weight is 7 stones and dropping. She also started a chest infection after her bowel surgery and now has pnuemonia.
    We have been asked not to go to visit her if we have been in contact or near anyone with a cold or flue. She has often been too exhausted to sit up, as yet she has not spent a single night with her daughter or fed her at all.
    As yet her husband has not formally contacted the AVMA although I have passed on details I was given by Kiera (many thanks). He is too busy trying to keep his job, taking his son to nursery and visiting her. The baby daughter still has not yet been named, she is being taken care of by my other sister as since her children are over 4.
    I just wanted to update those who replied.
    BPG

6. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

What a dreadful state your
    sister's in, I really do hope that things improve soon. It was difficult to
    stop my daughter's weight from dropping whilst she had the ileostomy bag, at
    her first birthday we managed to get her into a 0-3 month dress we had bought
    just before she was born; it was still a bit big on her. She went from 6 1/2lb
    at birth to just over 4lb at 6 months...The problem with vomiting and weight
    loss is normally due to the sodium levels dropping, once these are stable
    weight can be maintained. I had to force feed my daughter with a very strong
    sodium solution 4 times a day. Really
    sorry to say this, but I'm not sure we ever had a day without the ilesotomy bag
    leaking or falling off, but saying that as it heals it should be easier to stop
    this happening (and the fact it's not on a wriggly baby too tiny for any
    manufactured bag!) I would contact the AVMA asap, you can do this on behalf of
    your sister, they can offer very practical help over work/ childcare etc. Best
    Wishes. Keira

7. BPG I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Please get your BIL to check their insurance, it might contain illness cover or cover for disability - sorry obviously I hope that she will improve and get sorted and this won't be needed. DO get him to contact AVMA, even if only to put a marker down. Can you open up a file on the computer (or just hand write) and keep a log of everything you are told and everything that happens? if things get as far as a court case this will be crucial and you need to record everything if you can, accurately. I know it is the last thing anyone wants to do...
    So sorry I hope things will improve soon. Can your BIL get some compassionate leave? can you? You do need to take some time to get this sorted. I did find CAB helpful too when my family was in a similar position.

8. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

BPG - just wondered how everything was going? I hope the outlook is a bit more positive now.

9. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Glad your sister is getting the right medical support at home - her husband sounds like a complete dick. I could write more on what I think of him but I think I'll just leave it there. Thanks for letting us know how she is.
    Take Care

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I can't believe the situation. All the pain your sister is going through and that's how her husband treats her. There is so much I could say but I hope your sister starts to get on the mend and gets the support she needs. Being a new mum is hard enough without all this stuff.

Robyn

11. I cannot believe your sisters husband's lack of compassion! I am genuinely shocked at how nasty some people can be!