1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Perfect Moments"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tidal, Feb 25, 2011.

1. catfordbetty

catfordbetty New commenter

2. The most recent was watching the completely obscuring cloud disappear within 20 seconds as we stood on the rim of the Grand Canyon, and be replaced with a rainbow. We'd been so disappointed that we couldn't see it and were about to write the day off and then - there it was. A real wow moment.

[​IMG]
    And there it is.

3. Perfect moments don't always have perfect outcomes. Many moons ago, my longtime boyfriend and I had returned from a lovely summer's day in Cambridge where his team had won the footie, I'd bumped into some people I hadn't seen for years and we were getting the train back to his on a warm sunny evening. We were in a compartment (the old-fashioned ones that had two facing rows of seats and a door either side) with two other young couples whom we didn't know but got chatting to, when the train broke down. After half an hour one of the young men spotted a pub near the line, ran across the track and came sprinting back with bottles of beer and sandwiches. We had this lovely impromptu picnic in the train after a loved-up day and when he proposed (again) it seemed a shame to break the Perfect Moment so I said yes.
    Bad move. Bad girl.

4. awww, but quite romantic.
    Nothing like that ever happens to me. Although it could be because I don't seem to possess the romantic gene. Possibly hundreds of romantic moments passed me by and I just groaned or didn't notice them.

5. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Was that Mr LOTF as we know him now, Lily?

6. This one sounds not so perfect, but what happens after still makes me smile. My long term boyfriend had just broken up with me so I was feeling pretty pathetic. My baby brother (hes 5 now) hero worshipped him, but instead of walking in and asking where the ex was, he climbed onto my lap, cuddled in and told me he loved me. That set me off balling in itself.
    2nd one, from my bedroom window at my mums house, I can see the purbeck hills and Old Harry Rocks. Watching them as the sun goes down is always so pretty, and on a clear day you can just see for miles.

7. Noticing the aqua colour of the sea during the final moments of a fine winter's day.
    Finding the cat lying on top of one of us in the middle of the night.
    Being curled up on the sofa in front of a huge fire watching the latest Scandinavian drama complete with sub-titles.
    Squinting in an Edinburgh sunset in late autumn as it sets the spires of the west end ablaze.
    Being in the absolute peace and coolness of the Santa Croce Basilica in Florence.
    Kids saying "Thanks, Miss" when they have been helped.
    Holding my face up to the first warmth of the spring sun.
    Seeing a special and famous painting for the first time.
    Sniffing the scent of moorland air on the Scottish islands.
    Breathing in the ozone and heat and the wild thyme near a sandy Atlantic beach - something guaranteed to bring childhood flooding back.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love this thread.
    When I was about 5, going fishing on a tiny little boat with my Dad of the coast of Rhodes - he caught a tuna, then he pulled into this little secluded bay, lit a fire and cooked the fish. We stayed there for hours, eating the fish and when it got dark we lay on our backs and he pointed out constellations to me.
    When I was about 14, having a proper heart to heart with my Mum inside our home in Egypt, both of us with tears streaming down our faces. We were both so upset but I remember feeling that everything was going to be OK and I felt like she loved me for the first time since Dad died.
    When my fiance asked me to move to London permanently to be with him. My head kept telling me that it would be a bad decision but my heart told me that I loved this man with all my heart and soul. I remember looking into his eyes and never wanting to blink. When I said yes, he pulled me into his arms in a big bear hug - I remember the overwhelming feel of love and safety and security. It felt like home.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I can't find anyone else who's watching it.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Another one of mine was taking this photo of a child feeding pigeons in the Piazza San Marco, Venice:
    [​IMG]
    I'd already lined it up and was ready to press the button when the pigeon in the foreground walked right into the centre of the shot at the last second. I couldn't believe my luck, so I took the picture.
    Now here's the special bit (which Mrs MSB pointed out to me afterwards) - if you look at the line of the canvas drape, the girl's straw hat, and the grey of the slabs in the piazza in a certain way, you can make out the outline of a bird facing right to left, just like the pigeon below.
    I doubt if I will ever take a photo like that again - it's one of my all time favourites.

11. Love the photos that have been included in this thread.

Does this thread make everyone else want to go places?
    I love your story about the tuna, Egyptgirl.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Standing alone in the desert in Wadi Rum, the silence was incredible, the different colours of the sand and nothing moving.

[​IMG]
    <h3>
    </h3><i id="em16"">[/i]

13. The Killing? It's not been very thoroughly hyped but it's on a par with Wallander, imo.

14. No. His predecessor. Or as he was also known, best mate. [​IMG]

15. You and Doglover have lots in common, then...

16. Do we? How's that?

17. Haven't you read the rest of the thread? Or maybe DL will oblige...

18. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Lily, my husband was his predecessor's best mate too ;)

19. Here you are :
    " Kissing my now husband for the first time, in a crowded room, in front of lots of other people even though we should not have been kissing each other, as I was his best friend's girlfriend (I still don't know if anyone saw, but if they did they didn't say anything)." ( Doglover)

20. Why don't you just tell me? I have to go and start dinner in a minute and haven't time to read it all. Just precis.