1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Perfect Moments"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tidal, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tidal

tidal New commenter

Somewhat hard to define in mere words but these moments are those when thw whole of life, the world, nature and the universe seem to be in harmony with the individual experiencing them.
    After much thought and drifting thrrough my somewaht fading memories, in the 55 years I have existed to date I can only truly class about 10 "moments" as being perfect.
    Some few relate to the natural world, watching the stars circle across the sky on a clear night, watching waves break on a moonlit beach, seeing jackdaws playing aerobatics in in a windy washed out Autumn sky. And of course some special moments at sea under sail.....
    Fewer relate to moments with my children, but not lesser for being fewer, nor less memorable.
    Strangely only two relate to my relationships with adults, and they are both relatively recent.
    Sometimes such memories bring a sense of loss and regret for their passing, but mostly, and in spite of their passing in real time, the memories bring me a sense of peace and comfort largely missing from my current daily existence
    Mostly they help
    Mayby thinking about or relating your own will be of benefit to you and others
    Can't hurt?

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

Somewhat hard to define in mere words but these moments are those when thw whole of life, the world, nature and the universe seem to be in harmony with the individual experiencing them.
    After much thought and drifting thrrough my somewaht fading memories, in the 55 years I have existed to date I can only truly class about 10 "moments" as being perfect.
    Some few relate to the natural world, watching the stars circle across the sky on a clear night, watching waves break on a moonlit beach, seeing jackdaws playing aerobatics in in a windy washed out Autumn sky. And of course some special moments at sea under sail.....
    Fewer relate to moments with my children, but not lesser for being fewer, nor less memorable.
    Strangely only two relate to my relationships with adults, and they are both relatively recent.
    Sometimes such memories bring a sense of loss and regret for their passing, but mostly, and in spite of their passing in real time, the memories bring me a sense of peace and comfort largely missing from my current daily existence
    Mostly they help
    Mayby thinking about or relating your own will be of benefit to you and others
    Can't hurt?

3. I'm thinking but it's much harder than I thought to come up with 'special moments'!
    Should it be easier than this?
    I'm worried now...

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I was 17, trekking up the Langtang Valley in Nepal. One morning, up at around 13000ft, I woke up early and came out of my tent. The ridge of Himalayan peaks over on one side of the valley was just being touched by teh rising sun so that it looked like a jagged line of fire between the black of the rocks and the bronze of the sky. I just sat and watched for what seemed like hours but in reality was only a few minutes. Magic

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Most of my special moments seem to involve the sea.. that instant when you reach the beach.. or sitting watching the sun setting over the ocean on a far-flung continent....

And yes, most of them involve just me and the natural world, other people are incidental, apart from one or two special moments which centre around animal attraction... or walking home at dawn after a special party ....

A few of them are just me, in my garden, watching some creature, like a bird or a butterfly, some minutiae of nature that I was there to witness..

6. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Walking along the beach in St Andrews, very early in the morning in a high wind...
    Moments with the children and hubby. Sometimes a simple thing when I have been watching them.
    Music plays a part in some.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Two moments... (though there are others that will remain personal):
    Sitting on the sea wall outside the church in which we were staying on a YF weekend back when I was 17... late at night, sitting with a friend watching the white foam on the waves as they beat inshore...
    Lying out in the desert in the Red Centre in a black starry night feeling as though I could touch the Milky Way if I just reached up...

8. OK, I've thought what mine are.
    Holding all 5 of my babies when they were born, safe and sound.
    Yorkshire Dales, out walking near Kettlewell, when the most perfect rainbow appeared ahead of us. It was so bright and perfect that it took our breath away.
    Playing Poulenc's Sonata for Clarinet and Piano to a really rather important audience (Royalty) and everything just 'happened' in the way we musicians strive towards. The middle movement made myself and a fairly large proportion of the audience cry a bit. It was truly magical.

9. I can think of a few, perfect for me in their own way.
    Years ago I went to the Baptistry in Pisa. It is an extroardinary building with amazing acoustics. While I was inside someone started singing - it was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard, I still get goosebumps when I think of it.
    More recently, on the way home yesterday I saw the sunset from the train window. It was one of those beautiful, rich sunsets where the colours kept deepening and if you tried to paint it people would think you'd made it up. Eldest son and I watched until the red, gold, purple and blue faded away - a magical moment, made more special by being shared.

10. Tidal, what a lovely OP. Magical.
    Yes, those moments where the world stops turning almost...etched in the memory forever because of the way they impacted upon you at the time.
    For me...feeling alone and unloved as a student, far away from home on a Saturday night. The night before I'd danced with the most handsome, remarkable man and I was hoping he would want to see me again, but I'd had no call that day. I was in our halls of res (third floor) kitchen, my friends had gone to their rooms, and I was munching on a slice of toast, leaning on the window sill, listening to the strains of Carole King's "Will you still love me tomorrow" coming from someone's room...and watching couples come out of the student bar hand in hand. It was a starry night. I watched them twinkling. I felt rather homesick.... then suddenly a star shot across the clear night sky...leaving a trail in it's wake...and I wished and wished and wished that he'd call me. He did (eventually) but I can be transported back to that love-lorn night quite easily when I think about it.
    The births of my three children...vivid memories. It seems like yesterday, holding them for the first time and saying hello to each one....
    Watching my three children run across the beach ahead of me, at dusk in Bridlington. I'd driven them from Leeds for a day at the sea-side. Most holiday makers had vanished, gone back to their hotels and guest houses and I was walking at the sea's edge. The beach was deserted and I stooped to pick up a pebble (I still have it.) I'd recently divorced my husband and there on the beach I was feeling bereft. I was fighting back the tears, I remember, wondering if I could do this job - bring my children up alone. I wondered why I had to be alone, and why he'd let us down, deserted us. It seemed like a vast world, there on an empty beach as the light was fading, and I felt so tiny, vulnerable..lost..like a grain of sand on a beach... and frightened.
    More recently, (well six years ago) having a drink with my new boyfriend in a crowded pub, before kick-off. Going to the match was my birthday treat and this had been a nice surprise. This was our third date...and as we came out of the pub we crossed the road. Without looking at me, he grabbed my hand for the very first time and it felt SO right as he steered me through the slow-moving match-day traffic. I can see the children's playground in front of us in my mind's eye, and the hundreds of people milling around, but that moment was electric. We walked hand in hand to the ground and I remember thinking " Nice bloke..." We are still together, and although in our fifties, engaged to be married. He still holds my hand.

11. What a gorgeous thread.
    Those kind of moments usually involve the natural world, for me.
    When I was living in the Highlands, the weather often awed me. I lived in a rural area five minutes from beach and forest. There were unusually high amounts of thunderstorms and I would take the dog to the beach and revel in the exhilarating solitude of forked lightning and thunder while the waves crashed to shore and the dog raced along the sand.
    Another time, in the Highlands again, I went out to the garden and stood for a good hour looking up at the sky - no light pollution to dim the stars and I'd never seen the milkyway before. Breathtaking.
    Waking early, in summertime, and painting in a kitchen filled with lemon yellow light and listening to birdsong.

12. My friend and I went walking in the Yorkshire Dales a few years ago and there was an almighty thunder storm. I suspected there was one brewing as I had an almighty headache all day. As soon as the storm broke my headache lifted and it was so hot, despite the rain, that we just carried on walking in our shorts and t-shirts and got soaked to the skin. The thunder was crashing round the hills and it was so dramatic and exciting. Then it passed over as quickly as it had started and we quickly dried off in the hot summer sun. Magical. Another special moment was swimming in the sea at Cala Galdana in Menorca. It was so beautiful and quiet. I'd had a terrible year for personal reasons and work had been hard. I just swam there in this beautiful bay in the hot sunshine thinking THIS is what I've worked hard all year for - this moment! And finally, a few years ago (more than I care to think of!!) my ex and I were in Paris. One evening we walked past a fountain that was drifting across the path in the breeze and he just grabbed me and we danced there in the spray from the fountain - so romantic! :)

13. I remember a few nights like that! I had one "moment" on the beach in the moonlight and it must have been an odd tide tide because the sea went out and left miles of wet beach shining in the moonlight. I couldn't even see where the sand ended and the sky began. Besides that, I think I'm easily pleased. A sunny day, a kid "getting" something I've taught, my non-booky husband buying me a book of poetry, snowdrops, seeing the lunar eclipse, dinner with friends, watching birds in my garden in winter...

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Aged 10 - singing "The day though gavest" in afternoon assembly as a low sun shone into the hall.
    Aged about 16 - sitting on a Cornish cliff top
    Aged about 30 - singing "Linden Lea" (strangely enough) by Vaughn Williams in a choir concert in an English country church on a lovely summer evening.
    Aged 58 - holding my new born grandaughter and not being able to look away from her sweet little face for the photo.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The first ever summer's day I spent playing among proper sand dunes in N Wales aged about 10.
    Excavating a burial on an archaeological site and feeling that sense of basic human kinship with a person who had died some time in the Iron Age.
    Seeing my daughter's eyes open for the first time and looking straight into them a few seconds after she was born.
    Planing a windsurfer at speed across a lake on a blustery autumn day.
    Taking photographs around Venice - camera heaven, then asking Mrs MSB to marry me on the Rialto Bridge. As we'd already been married for some years she nearly peed herself laughing.
    Maybe not 'perfect', more like scary, but certainly unique - the eerie silence as the eye of Hurricane Charley passed right over us in Florida in August 2004.
    Seeing Mounts Bay in Cornwall engulfed by the moon's shadow during the total solar eclipse of 1999 - absolutely awesome.
    Catching my first clean wave standing up on a surfboard. As verbose as I am, I've always struggled to put this exact sensation into words, but the closest I can get is to say it was like a curtain lifting in my mind for the very first time. Probably the closest I have been to a spiritual experience - only a surfer knows the feeling ;-)

Thanks for this thread - much needed.

16. Very many, I savour them all and they are very personal.
    But a few I am willing to share:
    Sitting atop Roseberry Topping, side by side with my step-dad, looking at the view, sniffing the air, eating a cheese and onion sarnie and drinking a cup of stewed tea from the thermos and just being silent and happy.
    Sitting on my balcony, watching the boats go up and down the Rhine and a wee little finch coming to land on the arm of my bench, then hop onto my knee and stay there for ages, as if watching the boats with me.
    Walking home late at night through snow. The silence was gorgeous, so serene and peaceful. And then suddenly the moon came out from behind a cloud and there was a rustle of a breeze and snow started to fall from the trees above me.
    Sitting near the Whale Bones in Whitby, eating fish and chips with my kids, my kids sunkissed and brown, wet from playing in the sea, their hair was all curly and salty and they were just smiling and their eyes were shining, they had salt and vinegar stuck to their chins and we all just looked at one another and broke into a fit of giggles.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The first time I saw my first grandchild. He was four months old in my son's arms waiting for me at Sydney airport as I went out from customs. I held him and talked to him and he smiled at me. I had tears rolling down my cheeks for about an hour afterwards. I just kept telling him, 'I have been waiting so long to see you. Aren't you lovely?' To me it is still magical every time I see him waiting for me there and my heart always leaps. He is called Finn and he is the apple of my eye.

18. The last conversation I had with my grandmother.
    Kissing my now husband for the first time, in a crowded room, in front of lots of other people even though we should not have been kissing each other, as I was his best friend's girlfriend (I still don't know if anyone saw, but if they did they didn't say anything).
    The day after our wedding, when my husband told me he felt entirely responsible for me now (in a good way), as if my dad had handed the responsibility over to him.
    The day each of my daughters was born. I have never experienced a feeling like it, and doubt I ever will again.
    Seeing my daughter's little face light up, the first time I took her to Disney On Ice, and the skaters skated on to the rink in front of her.

19. Singing "Taps" at the end of an exciting and tiring day at Guide camp.
    Camp Fire at Guide camp.

20. This has been a lovely thread. A couple spring to mind.

Being about 7 and climbing up a big windy mountain (quite possibly just a hill, but I was little) and being terrifed to jump off down on to a little ledge and my dad holding his hands out to catch me and promising to catch me - I jumped, he caught, fear abated!
    Going for a walk in a forest with first boyfriend aged 15 - it started pouring with rain, he put his blazer on me, and we a massive kissathon (very "just 17" magazine). The smell of rain on grass takes me right back there.
    Seeing a robin in my garden for the first time after my brother died. It was hopping about the garden and fluttered about some branches. I think it was the first time I had smiled since my brother's death - just a very peaceful quiet feeling.
    Seeing how happy my baby is to see me makes me feel very special.

I think I want to go write these all down now.

Oh and doglover, I agree about Taps - it's such a still moment or something.