1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perfect job, lack of experience...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lalex123, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Senior commenter

Hi career clinic! I have seen the perfect job that is right up my street but I am missing some experience from my CV... I have never taught A Level and it is specifically asked for in the advert and job description. Is this a deal breaker? I have only ever been for 2 interviews in my 10 year career and this job will be a totally new environment for me (in many ways: on paper it would be a promotion even though I'm already HOD technically and I currently teach in a deprived area and this is a grammar school).

Firstly, do you have any advice for my application please? And secondly, will they discount me if I haven't taught a level yet?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @Lalex123 .

Oh dear . . . I think that you may be wrong there. Because you see, you go on to say

I ask myself - how can it be the perfect job and right up your street if they require A-level experience?

I think that what you actually mean is . . . I wish I could teach at that school!

My blunt answer here is: yes.

A grammar school will want somebody who can teach all through, and who has successful experience of teaching A-level to several cohorts

As they say in the advert and job description. You know it really.

Do you mean that it is a 2nd in Department? Or even a HoD? In which case it is even less appropriate for you. You would have no credibility with the other staff without successful experience of teaching A-level, and supporting colleagues by preparing and sharing materials or planning.

I know that by now you are absolutely HATING this answer. And probably me too. But it needs to be said to you, and I'm the one to say it.

You should only apply for this post, or any other, if you meet their essential requirements.

Yes.

I am very sorry not to give you the answer that you are looking for, that you were waiting for, that you were hoping for.

But I must be honest with you here.

:(

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. Lalex123

Lalex123 Senior commenter

Thanks for your reply, I was hoping that by magic someone would give me a paragraph to stick in that would solve all my problems! I knew it was a long shot, never mind!