1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perfect English but EAL?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by evilpixie, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Just started my 2nd placement and the only students in my classes that are "EAL" speak perfect English. (Some would argue better than the rest of the class!)
    My Uni teacher has said that these students still need to be provided for in our lesson plans.
    If they speak perfect English how can I "provide" for them?
    Any suggestions as to what I should be doing?
    Kim

2. catch222

catch222 New commenter

Just show that you've catered for them, e.g. although they're EAL, the reality is that they have normal spoken, written and reading skills. I have created differentiated resources for them, which allows multiple access points to pupils.

How does that sound?

3. so would you actuall do a "translated" resource just to get the box ticked?! But not actually use it?
    It seems so silly!

4. The sort of things you might do to cater for EAL students often benefit all students so aren't a waste of time, for example, providing keywords, using images instead of/alongside text on the board and in handouts/worksheets, using visual demonstrations where possible, etc. You can put these in your lesson plan as being for the EAL students but use them with the whole class.

5. catch222

catch222 New commenter

I would say either translation if sensible, but if not, just a low, middle or higher worksheet should suffice.
    Welcome to the tickbox generation!

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

(From our 'Outsanding Lessons' training prior to Ofsted visit) Or you could just say in your lesson planning that you are aware that these pupils are listed as EAL, but that their level of comprehension of English is at a level equivalent to that of the class and no extra provision needs to be made for them.
    Demonstrates you have considered the pupils' needs and have taken the appropriate action for those needs (even though in reality they don't have any needs as such). BIG TICK

7. That's really helpful thank you! When I asked the school about EAL they said they didn't have any so I am guessing that these chaps who have a non english "Home language" are pretty good but as you say I have to "plan" for them!