1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perf. Management

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MSL7, Nov 22, 2015.

1. MSL7

MSL7 New commenter

My line manager has suggested (via email this evening) that we have a performance management meeting tomorrow!
    Have never had a permanent teaching post,we so quickly did some research regarding objectives and reviews etc. However, performance management is an annual cycle so is there a purpose to setting objectives if I won't be employed by the school in a years time?! Can anyone shed some light?

2. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Your headteacher is required to set some targets for you for this year. I wouldn't worry, this is very standard. You might want to just think about your development needs, areas of your practice you'd like to work on.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Start by asking what the aim of the meeting is. And if there are targets, when will they be reviewed? It may just be a general meeting to see if you need any support, to provide any help that you think you might need. But do be clear about will there be agreed targets as an outcome of the meeting, and when they will be reviewed.

If the answer is a year, then you are not there for the review.

If the answer is less, and within your contract, ask about having some development targets, things that you would like to do to improve your performance (or even your employability!) and that are achievable within that timescale.

It's very important that your targets recognise that there is a lot less time to achieve them, so should not be like anyone else's!

Best wishes