1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People who help us topic and music

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by looloo38, Jan 13, 2011.

1. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all

Does anyone have any ideas on how to link 'people who help us' to music? I have ordered a book called 'People who help us' - out of ark and it is full of songs on people who help us which is fantastic but i need some ideas on activities to do too.
    I cant just sing a song every week and that's it i need an activity to follow them.

Any ideas

Thanks xx

2. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all

Does anyone have any ideas on how to link 'people who help us' to music? I have ordered a book called 'People who help us' - out of ark and it is full of songs on people who help us which is fantastic but i need some ideas on activities to do too.
    I cant just sing a song every week and that's it i need an activity to follow them.

Any ideas

Thanks xx

3. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Nice idea linking this (although I don't think all things have to be linked all the time) I checked out the out of the ark songs and was inspired to think of a few ideas. Hope this helps, have fun
    The Dustbin men: (Environmental sounds) Have a bin/ bin bag of ?rubbish? and use it to make a band focus on different types of sounds. In your rubbish include crisp bags, Pringles cans, tins, jam jars and lids, glass bottles (include some things you could use as beaters) and plastic bottles. (have some rice or pasta and tell children it?s out of date to put in for shakers.)

The Lolipop lady: (Stop and go) Make a stop and go sign give all children an instrument children play until they see stop, turn it around and they go etc. Children dance to a tambourine until it stops, freeze then go again.

Who is there for me?: (Emotions in music) Play different pieces of music give all children a happy/ sad card or show them an action for each emotion, children identify if it makes them happy or sad. Choose some happy or sad songs.

Going to the Doctor: (listening/ body sounds) Sound story with children making the sounds with you. Tell them the sounds before you start (use picture cards to prompt if appropriate, or to start with) sounds could include sneeze, ring ring, ah ha, cough, heart beat (clicking tongue) Tell a story ad lib if poss e.g. ? I woke up this morning I didn?t feel well, I ?sneezed? in my bed, I ?sneezed? down the stairs and I sneezed the biggest ever ?sneeze? at breakfast. Mum said right I?m phoning the doctor ?ring ring? ??

My Teacher: (listening) Children thinking of songs containing 1,2,3 or abc. Adult plays an intrument so many times children take in turn to copy e.g. three bangs of drum, four shakes of a maraca etc.

Window Cleaner: (high and low sounds) Have a picture of a ladder and a cut out fire man, move up and down ladder children play tuned instruments high and low. Use glass bottles filled with different coloured water in a row starting low going to high.

Fire Fighter: (Fast and slow/ loud quiet) have pictures symbolising fast/ slow loud/ quiet show children the pictures and practice playing instruments in that way then go into a game quickly altering fast, slow, loud etc. Sing this is the way we play?.(fast slow loud quiet etc.)

Hair Dresser: as for doctor thinking of new sounds.

Special friend: as for who is there for me.

Post man: parcels with an instrument in, have a matching set of instruments in front of the children. Play the instrument inside the parcel (ensure there is a hole in the side for you to play it through if not possible to hear clearly from shaking the box/ bag) Play the parcel children take it in turns to guess the instrument. Once all parcels are opened if appropriate move on to them copying what you are playing e.g. in the postmans sack shake a shaker three times or shake a shaker bang a drum children take it in turns to copy.

Plumber: Have a tool box children experiment with different sounds they can make with the tools. Have a collection of pipes of different sizes and beaters to play (particularly outside)

4. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

WOW, thank you so much you have some fantastic ideas, you have just took away the stress of planning a whole term of work. Thank you for taking the time to help me xxx : )

5. Yes fab ideas......i'll be using them too so thanks! I also have found a 'people who help us' song on singup which is a site for schools....the kids are loving it especislly making up the actions!

6. Thanks!! I was having trouble with the music links too. Can't wait to get started now. x

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Absolutely. A song a week would be dreadful.Ten songs a day - yes. If one of the songs links with the topic, all well and good, but singing is not the servant of the EY curriculum. Songs deserve their own place in the curriculum, irrespective of topic!

8. I am HLTA who is responsible for music in reception !! I am doing this topic at the moment, Music Express has a couple of good ideas - Working World - Litter could be linked to recycling and dustbinmen - chants eg The big litter muncher comes rumbling down the street, Its jaws are open very wide finding things to eat-- Children stand in a line with a colourful bin of litter soundmakers at one end.Invite the children on after the other to choose a soundmaker and make a sound - fast, slow, loud & quiet sounds..
    Crisp packets- packaging materials - explore the sounds that can be made.

Junk instruments - make them play them, let them be used in outdoor area for a Junk band.
    Working world-our town
    Have a collection of toys/ laminated pictures with a people who help us theme in a cloth bag- policeman, street cleaner, fireman, postmand -sit the children in a circle and pass the bag around the circle to the chant
    While we sleep
    And while we play
    the world's at work
    Through night and day

whenthe chant ends the child takes out a picture or toy from bag and talks about that person & job.
    Also good to ask children if they know if the grown up at homes goes to work and if they work in the day when they are at school, or at night when they are asleep.

these are just a couple of the activities I do but if you dip into MExpress and then use the out of the Ark Songs along side you can make some good music lessons,

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

But, of course, that would only be a part of the singing youdid.