1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People who have been accepted on training courses, what experience/qualifications did you have?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by giddyG2001, Jan 4, 2012.

1. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi all,

Hopefully this won't come across as too nosy but I'm applying for Primary SCITT's and GTP's this year (ambitious I know!) and I was just interested in hearing about people who had been successful getting onto their chosen course with regards to the school experience they have and qualifcations.

I have a 2:2 in Drama with English from 2005, am currently studying for my MA to finish in 2012. I have also taught adults English as a foreign language for the past 4 years. I start volunteering probably for 1 afternoon a week at a school in the next fortnight so will have some experience but I have little at the moment (however I don't plan on applying for the SCITT's and remaining GTP's until the end of Jan so I have some experience to write about and a reference directly related to a school). I am also in the process of setting up a drama group for Primary school aged children.

Anyway, I'm HOPING to get on this year but realise the places are very competitive and was wondering if other people who had been successful wouldn't mind sharing their experience and qualifications so I could compare.

Thanks for reading!

2. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi all,

Hopefully this won't come across as too nosy but I'm applying for Primary SCITT's and GTP's this year (ambitious I know!) and I was just interested in hearing about people who had been successful getting onto their chosen course with regards to the school experience they have and qualifcations.

I have a 2:2 in Drama with English from 2005, am currently studying for my MA to finish in 2012. I have also taught adults English as a foreign language for the past 4 years. I start volunteering probably for 1 afternoon a week at a school in the next fortnight so will have some experience but I have little at the moment (however I don't plan on applying for the SCITT's and remaining GTP's until the end of Jan so I have some experience to write about and a reference directly related to a school). I am also in the process of setting up a drama group for Primary school aged children.

Anyway, I'm HOPING to get on this year but realise the places are very competitive and was wondering if other people who had been successful wouldn't mind sharing their experience and qualifications so I could compare.

Thanks for reading!

3. Hello,
    Do you just want to know about SCITT and GTP places or ITT more broadly? I'm not doing SCITT but I have got a PGCE place for Primary at Goldsmiths. I have a 1st in American Studies/Geography from 1996 and an MSc in Economic Geography (1997). I did 2 weeks of classroom experience last summer, but am also a parent-volunteer for pre-school groups at my local children's centre. I'm no authority and I obviously don't know how you'll get on, but it seems like you've done and are doing the right kind of stuff...and the English as a Foreign Language stuff seems like it would be a real positive - you've been in a classroom and done it for four years, albeit for a different age group. At our interview, we had to do a 10 minute mini-lesson to other candidates - sounds like you'd walk that kind of exercise. Best of luck!

4. Hi i have a place on general primary pgce, I had 2 years experience of working 2 days a week in key stage 1 and also 3 months working with key stage 2 at a different school. I am in the last year of my degree in education studies, which I have to gain a 2.1 in to secure my place. You sound like you have loads of experience and I think this will help you come across as confident at your interview which is really important. good luck!!!