1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

people who hate their lives and people who are being worked to death

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dunnocks, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This is how the NQT who walked out yesterday described the staff of my school. Actually a fairly accurate description of most of the staff at all the schools I have worked at, although I would add a third category. People who work other people to death and make them hate their lives.

I don't think "being worked to death" is an exaggeration, the longer I teach, the more friends and colleagues I see die in harness.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I hope the NQT realises that often the pressure of the job is what is causing the 'hating their lives.'

pepper5, Curae, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

At least the NQT has realised this early on.

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Occasional commenter

5. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

Future SLT right there. Although, they see the reality of a situation, so maybe not

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Did management hear that statement and will it cause them to think "are we promoting a good work-life balance here"?

One of my questions-to-self when looking at schools for my daughter was "are the staff happy?" I suspect it matters far more than some realise. At her school, they do mostly seem pretty enthusiastic at parents evenings, so either they're reasonably happy or they're good actors.

7. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 New commenter

My nephew, really loving 6th form college after a mixed time 11-16 - "now the teachers seem to enjoy teaching us". Quite an accolade from a 16-year-old (and it makes all the difference being in motivated A-level classes).

8. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Good actors. I want out, but nobody would ever know. Great with the kids, colleagues, and especially parents. Inside, I want to straight up leave the country.

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Nothing has changed in the last year; the workload is still horrendous for the vast majority of teachers whilst the spin that workload is being reduced is spinning faster than ever.

Teaching has become a McJob.

Well done the escapee.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It used to be like that here

Slightly better now

11. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'm reasonably confident that the ones I know best are not acting, and I'm clinging to the hope that not many of the rest are. I did work there about 8 years ago, and I was reasonably happy then.

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The only way you'll know for sure is to be a fly on the wall of the staffroom.

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Not these days I’m afraid. The ‘of course I’m coping and happy in my job’ act has to be maintained at all times while on the premises. Walls (or ambitious SLT favourites) have ears in many staffrooms.

Careless talk costs jobs!

5EA06CB0-625A-40A4-9EB0-8E35FB01C016.jpeg

14. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 New commenter

Having spent a good 15 years of my life being one of those people, and always thinking if I worked harder it might change, I take my hat off to that nqt and wish I had discovered that level of wisdom and tenacity at a much earlier age.

15. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

It seems to me that SLT expect staff to work like dogs, in order to mask the lazy sods( students) who don't. Maybe we should sit the exams for them.

16. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I also have thought precisely the same for the two members of the Cazorla brood (daughter and son) and then thought about the utter cobblers I've happily delivered at Open Evenings!

Maybe I'm a good actor or at least can convince myself I am and most teachers are as well.

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

For some of my past pupils this would have been a lot less work & hassle.

18. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Good actors.

Smiling a lot is definitely part of the mask I put on in front of kids and parents to cover up how stressed I am.

And the other point is genuinely enjoying some aspects of the job. I enjoy interacting with (most of!) my students and their parents. Whilst resenting the time it takes in my evenings, I do quite enjoy parents' evenings and open evenings once it gets to it.

What I can't stand is the fact that I spend all of my evenings and half of my weekend working, and can still never be on top of it. That even when I do take time for myself, worries about work are still going round in my head.

I'm very open about all of this with colleagues. I've stopped the non-committal "yeah, not bad" responses when people ask if you're OK or have had a good weekend - I tell them honestly that I'm really stressed and just trying to get through the week.

But the kids or parents would never know that!

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

People who put up wth lives they hate in the hope of a decent pension at the end of it.

We've got our priorities all wrong.

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I always thought that teaching involved a degree of acting ability anyway. When the acting becomes the norm and permanent, that’s when mental health is compromised. It isn’t possible to act all the time.

I didn’t think that staffrooms were in use any more. Does anyone have time to visit one, other than to check a pigeon hole ( if such a thing still exists).

Jamvic, agathamorse, d_fahey and 2 others like this.