1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People who cannot spell should not be allowed to teach - including those with 'learning disabilities'

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by anniebaker, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Generally, people are usually not able to join a profession where their disability has a negative effect on other people. For example, blind people are not allowed to fly planes and drive buses. Why should teachers be able to teach children bad spelling just so the government appears more PC?

If you have trouble with spelling, just accept it and do a job more suited to you.

2. Generally, people are usually not able to join a profession where their disability has a negative effect on other people. For example, blind people are not allowed to fly planes and drive buses. Why should teachers be able to teach children bad spelling just so the government appears more PC?

If you have trouble with spelling, just accept it and do a job more suited to you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I hate myself for it - but I agree!

4. New teachers have to pass the QTS tests, including those with 'learning disabilities'. Whats is your problem? The QTS test including a spelling test as well as tests in maths, IT and literacy.

Why have you posted this on a behaviour forum? Maybe those who cant read shouldnt teach either.

5. looking for a better response to this question here than on opinion? Or perhaps you are hoping that this time around you will avoid the spelling misstakes which made your last attempt so laughable

6. I actually posted this first, packerguy. Then I realised it was not the best place and so posted it on opinion too. Thank you for your kind support. My intention is to prompt a debate, not personally attack people, which you clearly enjoy doing.

Please join the discussion on opinion as that is a better place for this topic.

7. What 'discussion'? I think you ought to look at the comments.

8. teachur

teachur New commenter

"QTS test" - yeh but anyone who gives these any credit at all maybe needs to think carefully about what we require from teachers!

9. Completely and utterly disagree - being able to spell does NOT make you a good teacher. If you took all the bad spellers out of teaching, you would lose a whole load of excellent teachers.

What about teachers who are socially inept, unkind, unprofessional? Far more damaging, I think.

I see the point you are making, but there are dictionaries, spell checkers and other people (including students) who can help to avoid any classroom spelling faux pas...

10. teachur

teachur New commenter

"What about teachers who are socially inept"

Oh i couldn't agree more with that one! There is one of those in my school. Her spelling excellent, her social skills and ability to respond to the pupils she is teaching, f**king awful.

11. Good argument, palbam!

People are much better at rational debate here than on 'opinion'...

12. i am **** at spelling, but good at my job
    i make a game out of it, if i stuggle to spell a word i see if the students knows, to me it is just a word and its the subject content which really matters, some people are good at spelling etc, me i am more practical.

13. Well.
    I am disgusted with this thread.
    At the moment, thanks to VERY poor literacy teaching at school a lot of younger teachers have very low literacy levels. Universities have to dumb down courses, even at good universities. I remember having a conversation with a lecturer at uni about this.

So its the older teachers who are banging on at us for spelling who seem to be partly responsible for this. I never had a single lesson on grammar, or how to punctuate. I;m sure many younger teachers would agree. We are a product of our education.

14. Just to make myself clear. You can be a poor speller but a great teacher. Teaching is more than about spelling.
    Yes, litearcy levels do need to go up. I am constantly shocked by literacy of my year 7 pupils.

15. Its obvious, if you have a learning diability which stops you doing your job properly then of course you shouldn't be a teacher.

If you have a leg disability you don't become a footballer.

If you are blind then you don't get to be an electrician.

As for bad spelling then I suppose you teach something like art, dance or PE, but if you're going to be a proper teacher then you need to be able to spell.

16. So are you saying you are not a proper teacher if you teach those aubjects?

17. I think it is a complete load of rubbish. We all have mempry blocks when we simpley can not remember how to spell something. It can be a simple word or one which is related to your subject.

This is what dictionaries were invented for! If we didnt need them for our spelling, understanding of the word, etc then there would be no need for them!

Putting the comment about blind people not being able to fly a plane, is an obvious one. How can you relate someone who struggles with spelling as the same? The two are miles apart and completely different!

It is forum messages like this that can make people feel bad about themselves when it comes to spelling and feel like they are not fit for the job!

18. Post 15:

A different class of teacher entirely

19. ladysue

ladysue New commenter

I am proud to say that I am a dyslexic English teacher! I feel that my weaknesses make me a far better teacher. I can understand some of the struggles that my students have and teach them a few of the strategies that I have learnt to overcome them.

My results are always good, I have been a head of year and am now a subject head. I love my job and would not let any learning difficulty make me feel inadequate.

20. I was told in first year at University to get tested for dyslexia - Im now in 4th and still not been due to not having a spare 200 pounds.

My spelling is rubbish unless I take it really slowly, but copying things on the board that i have previously written is always fun. All the kids do is properly read what you are writing so they can see the mistakes - and they are always happy to tell you.

Were all allowed to have something we are not good at - mine just happens to be spelling, with Primary teachers its things like teaching Technology