1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People that don't actually exist

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Sep 9, 2018.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

What categories can we come up with?

A few of mine:- (you are welcome to prove me wrong!)

1. Anybody watching Room 101 Extra Storage. Sure, Room 101 is entertaining. But if you've seen the original episode why would you watch it again with 10 extra minutes? Maybe only if you're really upset because your date didnt turn up and you can't be bothered to turn over the TV after your 3rd glass of wine.

2. Anybody who reads the instructions in full when they purchase something new, before using/trying it. It would take at least an hour.

3. Anyone who reads the Terms and Conditions of anything in full. This would take several hours!

4. Anyone who actually realises the Sun is the same strength on April 21st as August 21st. See any queues for the factor 30 in April? No. But it'll sell out in late August if the temperature exceeds 22.C!

5. Someone who used to work down a mine who is a member of a miners welfare club. Thatcher shut most of the coal industry down in the early Eighties. Good luck finding somebody that worked down a mine in a miners welfare club.

6 A Brexiteer that admits they made a mistake voting Brexit Brexiteers will admit they voted Brexit if they still agree with it. Or argue we should remain. But never the twain shall meet!

7. A Man Utd supporter in Manchester They all live elsewhere. If in Manchester a football fan probably supports City.

8. Someone that lived through 76 that concedes that the Summer of 76 was actually fractionally cooler in England than 2018. (Personally 1995 felt warmer.....)

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Who or that?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Point 4 - me! I'm a fair skinned red head and I wear factor 30 all year round.

Point 5 - still plenty of ex miners round here even though they haven't been underground for more than 20 years.

Point 8 - I remember 1976 but can't remember how the actual temperature felt. I lived in a flat so didn't have to water a garden like I did this year. I don't think there were any actual water shortages this year but that might be down to better management than in 1976 when some people had to queue up at browsers and we were advised to share a bath.

JosieWhitehead and Jamvic like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1 Not even heard of it!
    2 God, no.
    3 As if!
    4 I know that. Do I act accordingly? Yes. I do.
    5 There might be....
    6 There are loads.
    7 You're probably right.
    8 Yeah, yeah. '76 was hot but I've found this year far less tolerable. Mind you, I don't remember anyone buying me an aircon unit in '76. Hell, we didn't even have double-glazing or radiators then. I think you just got on with it more than we do now.

JosieWhitehead and Jamvic like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. Santa Claus

JosieWhitehead, les25paul and Jamvic like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm shocked!! SHOCKED!!!!!!!

JosieWhitehead, Jamvic and nomad like this.
  7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

10. The compassionate Conservative.

red_observer likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Easter Bunny told me.

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Hi. I’m here. I exist and I know I’m part of a tiny minority.

2. I always read the instructions and yes sometimes it can take a while as I usually try things out on the new item as I read.
    3. For products and services that are involving a chunk of my money yes I do thoroughly read the T&C’s. (Thinking about stuff like mortgages, Holiday bookings, large financial investments etc)

In my defence I can read very quickly.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I remember the 1976 heatwave very well. It seemed hotter, but I think my circumstances were different. I remember back then, commuting on packed airless trains, which I no longer do. One particular journey being memorable, because the train stopped for around half an hour outside the Peek Freens biscuit factory on the day they were making custard creams.

There's probably people on here who like, or even love custard creams, but that was the day I was cured of any attraction to them and have never eaten one since. You don't notice the sickly smell of vanilla too much when you eat a custard cream, but stuck outside a factory pumping the fumes outside and into a packed train in stifling heat, you certainly do.

I also remember one day when I was first on the train and a blind bloke sat opposite me. His guide dog was a long haired German Shepherd who was moulting like crazy in the heat. The poor brute's tongue was hanging out as he panted. I felt it would be unkind to the blind man to mention that his dog's hair was messing my suit up, but when the train started to move, the dog's head went from side to side with ever-increasing rapidity as the train sped up and he watched the scenery pass by the windows, I was being spattered with slobber from the dog, I decided I'd had enough and moved.

I'm sure the blind guy was aware I changed seats, but I doubt he reaslised why.

JosieWhitehead and les25paul like this.
  11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

You have a much better memory than me @Duke of York. I’d struggle to remember what I had for lunch today!

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Anyone of my age who failed to state surprise at the fact of it starting to get dark today at 7.30 despite being alive decades already and seeing the same thing happen every year.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's always surprising though. :p

Mangleworzle likes this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Daughter's boyfriend qualifies for no.7. But I agree he is probably a rare specimen.

15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

No. 7. Dreadful generalisation. Sorry I know loads! But there are thousands undoubtably.

16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I wouldn't believe that Easter Bunny fellow, him and Jack Frost are in cohoots together in a bid to discredit Santa Claus. They are jealous of his popularity. :eek:

The Tooth Fairy told me this and she never lies.;)

17. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Senior commenter

Volvo with a Gun Rack

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Joyful spritely pensioners.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The HT at our school, told us that in a Maths class when I wa about 12. I've never forgotten.

I loved summer 1995. And if I remember well, the good weather arrived in Scotland before it did further south. Broke, as if going by the calendar , on 1st August, after Rod Stewart played at Celtic Park.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It felt hotterror to me in 76 but it was the third great summer in a row so perhaps expectation was different. I had to do my A-levels without benefit of air-con whereas all I had to do this time was work in an air-conditioned office or slob around the house.