1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People speaking at your school/careers day - how?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Middlemarch, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd agree entirely with DM on this. I'm afraid there would be too much potential for your presentation falling rather flat - young people are the hardest audience in the world to interest in most other people's jobs!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Some schools and coleges run careers fairs for school pupils. perhaps you could have a stand at some of these. Also many schools run mock interview days for year 11s. Perhaps you can get your foot in the door by offering your services doing these. Once you get to know the person in charge of careers in the school you can find other ways to contribute.

3. Couldn't agree more. As a Work Experience Coordinator with fewer and fewer placements being offered each year,I know that the careers department of any secondary school would welcome the interest, especially for work experience and careers fairs. Admin probably wouldn't go down a storm in a Year 10 assembly, but on a day when businesses come in to talk to small groups of students, it would be ideal. May give them something to consider that they hadn't known existed.