1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People are rubbish.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I was supposed to be going out tonight with 3 other people. I've looked forwards to it for the whole holiday.
    Over the past two days, all three have backed out.

So now I'll just sit here being bored, dreading school and trying to work out how to contribute to conversations about how great the holidays were.

[​IMG]

2. lilachardy

I was supposed to be going out tonight with 3 other people. I've looked forwards to it for the whole holiday.
    Over the past two days, all three have backed out.

So now I'll just sit here being bored, dreading school and trying to work out how to contribute to conversations about how great the holidays were.

[​IMG]

3. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

Sorry to hear that. It's horrible when something falls through that you have been looking forward to. Try aand have a relaxing night, get some wine, chocolate etc and spoil yourself and of course chat to people on here!

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Go out anyway
    Do something different
    Eat a cuisine you haven't eaten before
    Dance with a man you don't know
    Whistle at a policeman
    Invent a new cocktail using the leftmost at rightmost bottles on the top shelf at your local pub
    Play bingo using only transcendental numbers

5. lilachardy

No thanks.

6. Did they have good reasons? Thats rubbish. Call up someone you havent seen in ages from your phonebook and suggest a drink. The last min nites are usually the best anyway xxx

7. lilachardy

Two excuses and one reason.
    I wanted to have a natter with my best friend. Ah well. It's not important.

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but are you saying that this evening out with your 3 friends was going to be the 'highlight' of your holiday?
    I think it is ok to be disappointed when you've been let down, but I agree with the other poster that suggested other ways to use your time so that you still feel good. Maybe you don't want to use those, but is there anything you could do that you would enjoy?

9. lilachardy

What I actually want is company.

I'd not mind so much, but I turned down another opportunity because I had said I'd go out - and now it's too late to get there.

10. No its not alright....you had plans made for quite some time, you were cancelled on at last minute by 3 separate people. Yes perfectly understandable that one would have something important crop up and be unable to meet but for two others to give mere excuses at this short notice is, imho, unkind and unfriendly. This kind of thing annoys me...I have weeded out many people from my life over the last few yrs for this and am now left with a smaller group of friends but who are true friends. And im much happier- no more getting excited to go somewhere and then being let down

11. Oo-er. I backed out of two do's last week because I have (a) a sore throat and (b) a period.
    Sorry if it was you!

12. I think this thread is very sad, especially the comments and feelings of the OP. One must feel very lonely to be so disappointed because they want companionship and feel so totally let down to call people rubbish.
    I count myself lucky I have SWMBO. We live a very quiet life and not going out is normal for us. The matter of of what to say about holidays at work is one that does ring bells though. When the most interesting event in your holiday may have been a trip to Iceland ( the frozen food store, not the country), then it can be a problem. I find just smiling and saying that my holiday was wonderful and relaxing and saying little usually works. Such conversations are only a few minutes anyway.
    This summer I will be mentioning how I managed to get through so many tasks I might otherwise not have , like clearing the garden.[​IMG] The key thing I have learned in life is that most people are like me and SWMBO and the OP. Our lives are not full to overflowing with interesting things and many will big up the odd occasion of the bright spot in an otherwise boring holiday (and that includes going on holiday for some).
    Such a sad post. Sounding really down. Hope you cheer up before school.

13. Did someone call? I hope you're feeling a bit better today lil. This was my username about 8 years ago, I'm amazed It's still here! A hug and a poem to you if you can guess the username I changed to.

14. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I completely understand how you feel OP. I hate it when people cancel plans, especially at the last minute. I'm very much the sort of person who says she's going to do something, it goes in the diary and I blooming well do it. It's so disappointing when you've been looking forward to it for ages and then you are let down, especially when it makes you feel as though the others all had better options and you are just left on your own to do nothing, feeling like a sad act.
    I too have stopped seeing 'friends' who often did this to me. The most recent was a friend who was supposed to be coming round one Saturday night a couple of months ago. I'd text her in the morning to check she was still coming and she said yes. I went food shopping to buy wine and nibbles for us and spent time making a cake for us to have. I was running out of time so I didn't go for my usual swim but did a quick 20 minute jog instead. I spent a couple of hours tidying and cleaning to make sure my place looked really nice for her coming round. I received a text about 20 minutes before she was due saying that she didn't want to come out in the rain - it WAS very heavy but she only had to get into the car and out at mine and dash 10 feet to the door!
    So I do feel for you! xxx

15. lilachardy

Let it drop, please.
    I'm a bit brighter today, thanks.
    I'd not have minded so much if they had done it sooner, so I could take up the other offer I'd had - because they knew about that too!

Rubbish - no idea!

16. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Pardon me for offering support!

17. lilachardy

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way - and I forgot to say thank you - so thank you, and sorry again Eva.

18. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

er....what the devil is one of these? I thought it was some kind of swimming club, but I suspect it isn't!

19. lilachardy

She Who Must Be Obeyed

20. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

ahhhhh...kinda makes sense! Swimbo would be a great name for a swimming club though.