1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

People and paper

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flowersinspring, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I was waiting- in a waiting room of all places- and was fascinated by the number of staff at this school who walk purposefully from here to there with terribly important- looking pieces of paper and frowns. I then waited in a further non- educational establishment and would you believe it? More people with paper. Not so frowny but this isn't an exact science.

#Musings while waiting in a waiting room.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and lexus300 like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I thought we were moving towards a more paperless society?;)

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

If they have a clipboard...well....

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How many on here remember hand written memo's? They were usually found on my desk when I had left the office for a nano-second!

Dragonlady30 and agathamorse like this.
  5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Useful factoid for a book I was thinking about writing about Social Empowerment. People in a uniform that conveys their status may be enhanced by carrying a clipboard or scrutinizing a form. Doctors and the police do it all the time. Teachers nowadays that want to impress wear a smart suit ( power dressing) and peer over the top of their glasses to deliver their verbal pearls of wisdom.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Walking around with a purposeful stride, a serious look on your face, and a piece of paper in your hand (better still if it is attached to a clipboard) is an old services dodge of avoiding work while enhancing your status.

@lexus300 : I used to hate the memo forms used by a previous school, which had 'while you were out' emblazoned across them, accusingly.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No chance, because they have to print out all the Bolleaux that is sent electronically now. Hard luck trees. All this computer stuff slows things down, try buying a house it takes months to do what could be done in four to six weeks with snail mail. In retrospect so-called "snail mail" should be regarded as light speed!

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Ivartheboneless : A while ago, my wife was sent a form by email, which she had to print out, fill in by hand, scan, and then email back. Bonkers!

agathamorse and neddyfonk like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I always liked the spike on which to file them - it could go right through the palm if used in anger.

upload_2019-6-25_12-35-38.jpeg

agathamorse, nomad and neddyfonk like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I do some voluntary work that sometimes entails buying things and claiming the money back, this used to be the process and still is for most of the others involved. My breakthrough was to photograph my signature and save it as an image file, I then add it to the form before emailing it back again so I can keep it all electronic. The treasurer is very wary of data protection and GDPR, so every time I have to send him my bank details as he has deleted them from last time :rolleyes:

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If I get bored, I grab a couple of bits of printed paper and a pen and walk purposefully all round the school. No-one ever challenges me.

Jolly_Roger, I was told to make our new Y7 data capture paperless. Knocked up a Google form, emailed it out to accepted Y7 parents. Leaving out the number who never gave us an email address, most of them did not fill it out online and email/share it back. Some printed it off, filled it in with a pen, then photographed it or scanned it and emailed it back; some printed it off, filled it in and brought it into school. The ones who did didn't save us any paper anyway, because I can't be flipping between screens when inputting the data so printed them all out anyway.

magic surf bus likes this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

I did that with my signature. At work every bleeding assigment we gave out had to be on paper with a signature box for the assessor (me), all presigned in word format. *Simples.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had to do that recently when registering for DATA Protection and getting a D/D form by email (to save on the annual fee). It does mean that the printed form stays in my possession and is a reminder for my business accounts and for when I sell up and need to cancel the D/D.
    In thIs so-called paperless society, I now have an entire Billy bookcase from IKEA filled with the paperwork generated for renting out one property to students.
    My landlord Association even advises printing out a copy of every required document for each of my 5 students, rather than the one that is legally required for joint tenancy purposes, and getting each tenant to sign a form saying that they have received the paperwork, as tenants can now take you to court and allege that they were never given the How To Rent Guide, or the Gas Safety certificate etc, and how can the landlord prove that they did make it available to every tenant?
    I've also been advised to video record or photograph certain actions, with the date, to prove that I've done things like a Legionnaire's check on the house.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If I don't want to be disturbed I usually try to move around with a few sheets of paper looking serious... a purposeful stride also helps...

I'm probably nipping to the loo but people assume I'm urgently rushing to tackle a educational issue of paramount importance.

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Slightly off topic, but I am equally fascinated by people in hi-vis jackets clutching a walkie-talkie. Such power!

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:) I'd forgotten about those. Some seemed to think it gave them an air of great importance and gravitas, I used to see it as a sign as being at the beck and call of anyone else who had one, "Enterprise calling, beam me across to the dining room".

Dragonlady30 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Everybody in a van seems to wear hi viz now. I even have a motorcycle jacket that is hi viz for the gormless plonkers who need help seeing.

18. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

A hi-viz jacket and walkie talkie makes it easy to stop traffic.

I used to do it all the time in another life. Though I actually didn't have the jacket - just the walkie and a determined expression.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I used to do the carrying a piece of paper to look busy trick - standard practice.

I've been working on an outdoor project where I have to wear not only hi-vis but big boots and a hard hat, plus I get all mucked up by the work. I feel so butch, just like that manly construction worker fellow in the popular music group Village People.

It's as much as I can do to take off the hi-vis and the hard hat when I visit the supermarket on the way home, such is the sense of power.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm in the stride around looking purposeful club too. I even add a clipboard sometimes.

BertieBassett2 likes this.