1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pentecost

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Gratzia, May 5, 2011.

1. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Thought I would post this again as it's not so much about videos but more about activities within the lesson.
    I have just read an earlier thread that was posted some time ago and would love to see the resources from 'q.connolly' (or any others!)
    I am desperately looking for an interesting 'Pentecost' lesson for 10 -12 year olds.
    How can I show the gifts of the Holy Spirit transformed the followers of Jesus?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I was going to post this in the Primary section and then thought the RE section would obviously be better but I've hardly had any response! I know there are mainly KS3 teachers posting here but surely 'Pentecost' is taught in senior schools too! I teach Years 5/6 and would love some help.

3. Where are you fitting the Holy Spirit in?

4. Perhaps you could prepare one of your students who is good at drama (possible two - one for before and one after?). You could then hot-seat Peter and ask him how he felt before Pentecost - afraid, powerless, doubting, and then how he felt after the Day of Pentecost - full of the Holy Spirit, bold, ready to do anything to serve Jesus, convinced of the truth.
    One of the things that amazes me about the whole story is the extent to which the disciples believed so wholeheartedly that they were prepared to face death for their beliefs and indeed most of them died horrible deaths. You could even start your lesson with this - who is prepared to die by crucifixion, stoning, or beheading? All they had to do was stopping spreading the gospel - but they couldn't do that.
    This website has some info on the deaths of the disciples:
    http://www.ichthus.info/Disciples/intro.html

5. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Hi janegeography,
    Thanks ever so much for your ideas. The suggestion for starting the lesson would certainly get the children thinking! Just need to sort out how to record it now.

6. Glad to have been of help. Hope it goes well.