1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pensions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JAFF23, Feb 27, 2016.

1. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

I am thinking (due to my crappie last week teaching here in the UK) of the possibility of teaching abroad. Silly question; can you still pay into your teachers pension?

Many thanks

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Short answer No!
    Please check with TPA how long you can be out of the TPS so you can continue paying in the future. I think it is 5 years. Remember the TPS is for teachers that work in this country.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

You used to be able to pay up to 5 years when you moved overseas (you had to pay double ie yours and what was previously your employers contribution) but that was stopped around 2006.

If you intend moving overseas for a while, you might want to look at an alternative. I would go for buy to let properties. Others may disagree.

4. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

5. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

And watch his video here. Get a pen and paper and a calculator. Don't panic when you see the numbers just start saving and investing.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you really want to stay in the teachers' pension scheme, then the sensible thing to do is to stay in the UK.

If you retire somewhere expensive, like the UK, then it is a good idea to have a very substantial pension because you will still need a lot of cash to pay for things like expensive public transport, heating, Council Tax, car parking, VAT and your TV licence. If you retire somewhere cheaper, like Bulgaria, then your UK pension or pensions will go a lot further. I asked a Bulgarian friend of mine what he did when the weather gets really cold. "I go up to the pine woods with my chainsaw," he replied.