1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pensions

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by pedagod, Jan 14, 2016.

1. pedagod

pedagod New commenter

Just checked my 2015 pension statement. According to SPPA my new pension is 3 ( yes three ) percent of what was predicted in 2014.
    Of course it's a mistake but it's taken nearly 2 years to update to this. That percentage level accurately reflects my confidence in them.

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

You'll probably be on the new pension scheme - that's why the amount is low

Pension earned before 2015 is in a "different pot" so to speak. It's not been lost

3. pedagod

pedagod New commenter

I am in the new scheme but that is not the section that the errors in the statement apply to. I am sure the corrections will be made but I really don't think much of their quality assurance. All that was needed to spot such a glaring error was to compare the 2015 against the 2014 statement.
    I also thought we were to be provided with a statement each year. Why has it taken nearly 2 years to provide this latest one?

4. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

This is the 2015 statement - so the final statement for most of us in the old STSS pension. This statement has nothing to do with the CARE scheme.

Pedagod - whilst slow, this statement is the April 2015 statement so by my calculations it's 9 months late, not nearly 2 years :)

It likely won't be corrected if you don't contact them. My statement last year was wrong (same issue as you it would seem) a quick phone call had it sorted instantly.

5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Glad I'm not the only one having exactly the same reduction problems. My brother is a financial adviser and he has never come across a pension scheme body (STSS) as disorganised as this lot. They are so slow in updating stuff and Liviboy - you are so lucky to have yours sorted with just a phone call. You are absolutely correct in that if you DON'T contact them they most definitely not sort it - it's only our pension after all - why should they worry? (that seems to be their attitude - a bit like our Unions' - choose your pace of action - dead slow or stop)

Joni x

6. sioken39

sioken39 New commenter

Same here, was shocked to see such a piddling amount, especially as I'm due to retire soon. Fired off an email to them, and inspite of the website saying it might be 6 weeks before they could answer, due to high demand (is there ever any other kind of demand!) they got right back to me. Turns out the 3 years worth of benefits attributed to me was the 3 years I worked in London, just hadn't added to my Scottish service. They said they'd give me an accurate projection once I sent date of retiral.

7. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Anyone who got an enhancement to their teachers pension is in for a shock. Scottish tax rate of 20% appears to have been applied to it. Mistake??