1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pensions

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, May 2, 2011.

1. Depressing subject. Was anyone at the NAHT conference at the weekend? Sounds more electric than usual dinner dance & free biro! I am thinking about the dreadful statistics of how many Heads survive beyond a year of retirement. Now we'll be working until 65 then if we make it to 66 will be watching all the retired bankers drifting off into the sunset on their Saga cruise whilst we are at the job centre.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Haven´t seen that - tell us what it is.
    I´ve survived nearly 4 so far - am I bucking the trend?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. I was at the NAHT Conf in beautiful, sunny, Brighton last weekend. The pensions issue was discussed as an emergency motion brought by the National Executive. The motion was carried (almost) unanimously. Some of the scenarios are quite scary in terms of just how much pension we could lose. It looks as if we could end up paying more for longer to get less.
    The Gove, however, was very supportive sounding on the subject. But then it is the Treasury who make these decisions, not The Gove.
    There was no mention, nor discussion about the life expectancy of retired teachers. The fact that many of the attendees are retired headteachers might suggest we can look forward to a long and happy retirement, if not a particularly solvent one.

4. Thank you for your feedback from the conference. We'll wait and see on pension strikes I suppose. During that period when workforce remodelling, work-life balance, PPA, UPS (what joy!) was going on and I think a company were employed to look at stresses in the job (Price, Waterhouse Cooper or something similar- I filled in the survey online!) statistics emerged possibly from the NAHT about life expectancy after retirement for Heads. I don't think I am imagining this as I recall discussing it with colleagues at the time (maybe 4-5 years ago). Something unusual called 'Dedicated Headteacher Time' emerged as one of the outcomes from all the online surveys and so on. Not really sure what that was all about! I recall attending a local NAHT conference a few years ago where they talked about preparing for retirement by not burning out eg. going part time for a bit at the end and life expectancy was part of this. I know Heads who sadly haven't lastest long after retiring and have heard of others so I do think it might be an issue, although not wishing to be alarmist. I am pleased that the NAHT conference was full of lively ex-Heads and good for them for backing the cause. A reasonable pension would help after all this premature grey hair for us too!