1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pensions - or not - in Thailand?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by claytie, Dec 7, 2019.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

I can’t find any reference to teachers receiving a pension fund at international schools in Bangkok? I know they do in Malaysia. Any info?

2. claytie

claytie New commenter

Sorry, folks; just found a message about this. No pension....☹️

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

but the top schools pay very well. the extra you get in pay will be easily off set any pension provision. i definitely would not be discounting BKK just because of this

4. claytie

claytie New commenter

That’s interesting. Thanks, Dumbbell66. However, Malaysian schools’ provident funds pays interest. But maybe the wage is nowhere near as good as the Baht?

5. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Have a look, at Andrew Hallam's book, Millionaire Expat. Definitely worth reading

6. fubarr

fubarr New commenter

I have worked in Malaysia and I know that the EPF there is very good, however I now work in a school in Bangkok which runs an equally robust provident fund. Some schools give teachers what is referred to as a "bonus" but is in effect their way of pretending to give you a pension.

claytie likes this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, buy a copy of the book and contribute to Andrew Hallam's pension.

8. Helen-Back

The man earns about $2 a book. Not unreasonable when you consider the likely costs of Friends Provident and others.

9. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

He wrote a book that provides some interesting information to consider.

Not sure what the point of your negative comment is.

10. the hippo

Lots of people who try to get some free advertising on the TES would probably say that they are providing "some useful information to consider."

11. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Hippo, his intention is to try and help expats invest wisely. Perhaps those who lost a lot of money through making risky investments in oil would be better off today if they had read and considered his wise words...

12. 576

576 Established commenter

The hippo has something against Andrew or his book.
    As he also has something against posting advice here for all to read, preferring to request that people pm him
    He also has something against council tax, I guess because in Bulgaria volunteers come and empty your bins for free...

13. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Well, that went downhill quickly....maybe you should write a blog?
    ;)

Perce

gulfgolf, Helen-Back and dumbbells66 like this.
  14. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

15. the hippo

Hippos are gentle and sensitive creatures. I am upset by your cruel comments.

16. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

back to the OP - Most of the BKK schools have an EPF, the employers match ranges from 5% to at least 15% depending on the school. 15% is the highest that I've heard of, maybe BKK based posters here can let us know if they know of a higher employer's contribution.

17. claytie

claytie New commenter

Yes, that would be helpful to know!

18. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Hippo, his intention is to try and help expats invest wisely.

I am sorry the intention of anyone who writes and publishes a book is to sell as many copies as possible and make as much money as possible. Particularly as the basis of Hallam's advice is to put your money in an index tracking fund - anyone who follows this advice please feel free to send me the same $2

As for motorhomer, more fool you for thinking you could game the system!!

19. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Said the man whose grandmother never penned a book about the complex relationship between our ancestors and a particular piece of geography.
    Truly, there are many reasons to write and publish. Money is often not the first driver.

20. Helen-Back

As someone who is in the book and has spoken to him about this (in fact he got quite upset with me for suggesting a money motive), I truly believe that is not his motivation. He didn't even start charging for presentations until about 18 months ago. Before that he asked for flights, a spare room and to be fed.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019