1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pensions-how about a level playing field

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by misterroy, Apr 8, 2012.

1. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

Hi, I as a teacher contribute to a final salary scheme at the rate of:
    1/80 th per year, up to a max of 40 years

police 1/60 th per year up to a max of 30 years
    MSP 1/50th or 1/40th per year up to a max of I dont know.
    What is the pension of EIS and SSTA office bearers?

2. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

Hi, I as a teacher contribute to a final salary scheme at the rate of:
    1/80 th per year, up to a max of 40 years

police 1/60 th per year up to a max of 30 years
    MSP 1/50th or 1/40th per year up to a max of I dont know.
    What is the pension of EIS and SSTA office bearers?

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

All pensions schemes are different. Police have traditionally paid in far more than teachers, which is why they used to be able to go at 50. All public servants are getting shafted due to this Tory ideology - we shouldn't be trying to compare the fire brigade with teachers or police.
    Remember we had a "cap and share" agreement from 2006 - if the cost of the pensions went up we (as teachers) would have to foot the bill.
    Unfortunately despite this government being very keen to publish figures relating to the size of the so-called deficit, they have been very reluctant to publish the balance sheets of the individual pension schemes.
    Also I keep hearing that those in comparative private sector industries earn much less than me. I've never heard of a teacher in the independent sector with identical experience get paid less than a local authority teacher in Scotland.

4. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

and why should we not compare our pension scheme with others, particularly the MSPs? Should we not be able to contribute more like the police and get out before burn out too?

5. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Office bearers = elected lay officials, hence they have the same pensions as every other teacher. If you mean SSTA or EIS employees, then my understanding is that they have a money purchase scheme not a final salary scheme.
    The reason for the different schemes is that they were negotiated freely and the schemes were based on mortality rates / actuarial outcomes in those groups plus some social / political considerations. e.g. Police had fairly high mortality rates after retirement (shift work / stress / alcohol etc) and also benefited from the political requirement to keep them on side after the 1918 Police strike, WW2, the Miner's strike etc.
    As I've said before in this forum, the problem we face is the ConDem coalition's determination to force through changes ***** nilly, ignoring the different actuaarial considerations for different groups of public sector workers.

6. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

so is the stress and alcoholism the reason the MSPs get such a good deal? It was employees of the unions I meant, ta.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The deal for UK MPs is even better I believe but is being changed. Why not make your feelings clear at your local MPs surgery!
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

8. Naught to do with our pensions, I know - but it's a pity they didn't show equal determination to force through changes to this situation.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jailed-peers-can-go-back-to-work-7627531.html