1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pensions and supply teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sallyaprice, May 3, 2012.

1. Am new to supply teaching. Is it true you can't be in the teachers pensions scheme at all? I knew supply teaching was the lowest of the low but really?

2. Am new to supply teaching. Is it true you can't be in the teachers pensions scheme at all? I knew supply teaching was the lowest of the low but really?

3. If you are employed by the local authority you can pay into your pension - so I did last year when in a long term contract. However agencies are outside the teacher pension scheme and you get nothing... another reason why they pay is rotten!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The middle way is that your agency assigns you to the school for a medium or long term cover but he school opts to pay you through the LEA's payroll system, which allows TPA contributions.

Agencies themselves however are not part of the TPA scheme. Bum deal eh?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I did a lot of supply work via private agencies when I first started in 1999.
    I was registered with the LA supply service but they didn't offer work; they sent a list of registered teachers to every school each month and schools called us direct. iF YOUR NAME WAS NOT NEAR THE TOP OF THE ALPHABETICAL LIST, YOU HAD LESS CHANCE OF GETTING WORK!
    The calls came from the private agencies and I took the work, especially as the main one paid to scale (but obviously no access to the pension).
    When the LA outsourced their supply service to an agency, with the LA continuing to pay teachers but the agency touting for business and making all the contact with teachers. At that point I ditched the private agencies and only accepted work from the LA agency and from my direct approaches to schools, with all the work properly paid and pensionable.
    I also transferred my Local Government pension into the TPS during my first year with the TPS.
    More supply teachers need to prioritise registering with their LA service (and that of nearby LAs if their schools are within reach). Also send CVs direct to schools (those where your agencies haven't placed you recently).
    Gradually ditch the private agencies and make teacher supply recruitment uneconomic for them. If they don't have enough teachers on their books and can't meet a school's needs, the school will have to look to the LA supply service and to the direct approaches from teachers.

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

What LA service?

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If your LA no longer runs a supply pool, ask if they have nominated an agency to run things for them.
    research other LAs in yoiur travel-to-work area.
    Supply teachers in Lancashire should approach the LTA (Lancashire Teaching Agency) and if registered will be properly paid by Lancashire County Council.
    Perhasp others can add the LAs in their neck of the woods where there is still an LA supply pool or a nominated LA agency where proper pay and TPS contributions are possible.

8. Nominated agencies do not have to pay scale and don't! I'm with one £105 per day. They just have better access to schools. I approached the school I am at several times and I am with the LA in this case (neighbouring authories don't have one). The school only took me on through an agency.... This is the way it goes. One neighbouring authority (city) has a no supply teacher teacher policy cover supervisors only.....

9. I am I Northumberland who have an LEA list but have not had a single call since registering in September. All the schools appear to use the agency I am registered with too. There are academies also who employ their own bank of supply teachers. Neighbouring Newcastle, North Tyneside and Gateshead do not have LEA pools. North of the river also use my agency and south of the river appear to use another agency mostly. My mum is a governor at a local school who have decided to ditch what LEA cover they use in favour of cheaper agency plus using their agency makes their supply insurance premium for the year many thousands of pounds cheaper.

10. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

For the very simple reason that if they employ you via the LEA, you'd be paid to scale, you'd get pension contributions and so on.

So the bill for the school would be greater.

Not only are schools under pressure to save money, but from our local press, I'd say they are under specific pressure to save money on supply teachers as every financial year there's a headline and half-page story about however many million local schools have spent on supply teachers last year and how this "waste" must come down.

The school can have you for the full scale price, including pension, or it can have you for a cost to them of about £150 a day. Why would they pay more?