1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by useless, Aug 30, 2011.

1. The TPS say they process an application for ARB IN 6 weeks. Has anybody else found this to be the case? I applied on 1st August but as yet I'm only 60% through the process.

2. The 60% figure just means that they have finished 3 of the 5 stages. It is not related to the time involved.

3. I too am a member of the, not very exclusive, 60% club and have been since the 16th July.

4. I applied in early March! Was on 60% until last Friday. Am now on 80%.Excitement mounts!Will be waking up early on September 5th.Then I will go back to sleep.All I have to do is see CPD on apiece of paper to know that going at 55 was the correct thing to do.I will be relatively poor.I will be extremely happy.It wasn't the teaching,it was the Head and the c**p that came out of her mouth.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Remember you can always do daily supply if you feel the need lol

6. I applied in April, received my lump sum on 1st August and my first pension payment on 27th August. Mind you I did deliberately avoid the 1st September rush. I had been on supply for a year so knew I would earn nothing during August. I will continue to do supply work but am free from having to work full time so no more stupid politics, meetings etc for me.

7. hi Hi all - new to all this but I am seriously thinking of leaving at 55 next year. where do you get the forms from, is it your school, TPS people or your LEA?
    also, when handing in your notice do you tell the head that you are retiring early or not because at some point won't she/he find out?
    thanks - the reason I ask is that I don't want to divulge too much info to them!
    thanks for any advice anyone!!

8. You apply on-line. With regard to telling the HT, less is more. I mentioned early retirement in a previous PM discussion. Big mistake as I was treated less than well in my final year. If I had to do it all over again I would tell no-one and when I handed my notice in would mention, verbally, that I was retiring.
    The TPS website, and the telephone staff, are really good for info and help.

9. roseangel,
    Did you nominate a date to receive your lump sum and was it different from the date you selected for your pension? I need to know if I'll get my money on the date I nominated which was exactly 6 weeks after I completed my claim.
    Thanks.

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'mrather embarrassed to report that my assessment was done in one day. [​IMG]
    To be fair, anything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. LEA 'lost' my paper application-I found out by accident!
    I then had to apply 3 times on line as the system told me my application had been accepted when, in fact, it hadn't. Again, I found out by accident. I then received a quality control 'phone call from TP and it was like a bomb had been put under the system. I had to apply AGAIN on line and I contacted my LEA by 'phone. It was amazing how everything happened after that.
    I'm awaiting my lump sum on Sept 1.
    In all the confusion and stress, when I applied the last time, I ticked the box for the reduced pension and enhanced lump sum. When I realised my mistake, I wanted to change it but then I received news that a friend had died two years after retirement. It's her funeral tomorrow. No one knows what's round the corner, so I decided to keep things as they are. If I live to be 110 and spend all my lump sum, the state can keep me!
    I'm signed up to do supply work. I never thought I would do this, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. [​IMG]

11. Handing the head your resignation letter depends on when you hand in your Actually reduced pension form. If it takes 6 weeks tell the HT at the same time, that is unless you may need a reference or supply in the area.
    However, that will not necessarily give them enough time to find a suitable replacement. I told my HT before Easter that I was leaving and he thanked me for giving him plenty of time to find a relacement.

12. I feel exactly the same. It was not the pupils that were a pain in the ar*e but the staff and the garbage that they uttered.
    Ah well, will have an extra spring in my step come 5th. September. Skint but smiling.

13. Yes, I nominated a particular day. I chose August 1st deliberately so that I avoided the September 1st rush when most people take it. Your monthly payment is paid on the day before your birthday date. So my birthday is on the 28th (not August) so I get paid on the 27th.

14. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

15. I got my lump-sum today (a day early) and expect my first payment on 4th October. Everything has gone according to plan with no problems. I now hope to get some supply to top up my small weekly pension.