1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension Transfer Advice.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kmarkey12, Jul 4, 2015.

1. I would really appreciate any advice on this...

I have been teaching in N. Ireland the past two years and contributing into the NI teachers pension scheme. Due to the lack of permanent positions I decided I would go to London for a few years and get some experience in a permanent role.

Firslty, I begin my new role in Sep and I want to know should I transfer my pension from my two yrs at home into the England TPS or leave it untill I return to NI in a few years?

Secondly if I do transfer it, when I eventually do return to NI will I be able to transfer it all back into the NI TPS? I have been reading that with the new changes if I have a break in service from one scheme for more than 5 yrs (in this case if I don't teach in NI for the next 5 yrs) then I can not just transfer it back in when I return. If I am here in England for such time what problems will I face when returning to NI?

Any feedback or advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My strong advice is do not ask for or act on advice about complex technical pensions matters on online forums. Ask someone who is qualified to give financial advice. Would you really want to make important investment decisions on the opinions of unqualified, anonymous strangers who know nothing about your personal financial circumstances?

Why not just ring up NI TPS and ask them! They'll tell you your options, what you can do (but not what you should do).

3. Of course thanks very much for your feedback.

It's just with the changes it has complicated everything as before transferring between teaching schemes wasn't a problem.

I will call up this week and see what they say. Thanks