1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension retirement age - clarification needed please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sesame1, Jun 14, 2011.

1. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

I'm 47 and I would simply like to know from what age I will receive my teachers pension, ie is it 60 or 68, I don't understand anymore, I've heard conflicting reports from colleagues and the media. Does anyone know please?
    I've just heard in the media that it's changed (not 60 any longer) is this correct? (I was under the impression 65 or 68 or whatever age this government is wanting was for those teachers who have just started their career).
    PS: I probably sound disconnected from reality, that's understandable, I've been having some serious home and family issues to deal with this year, my mind has been completely absorbed by other things

2. Aroind your age it is a bit woolly. Try going to your union's website - they usually have things there to help.

cyolba, counting the weeks until retirement :)

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

No idea but when you find out can you tell me please so I can count the days? [​IMG]
    I did wonder if it was when you started teaching rather than on age but I'm happy to be corrected.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

5. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

OK, thanks, I'll phone the union (NUT), I went onto the website and did not really understand the changes.
    I joined the TPS in 1996, does that mean I'll be affected by the proposed changes or not as far as you can tell?

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

If you joined in 1996,you are in the old scheme and able to get your full teaching pension at 60. How much you get obviously depends on how many years you have been teaching.
    However,we are all waiting to see what changes might be coming our way once Hutton is implemented. We've seen the report but the Government has not said how/if it will affects us all.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm in the old TPS & should have been part of the 'sliding range' of retirement, so born 51retire 61, born 52 retire at 62 etc. . .
    But the govt. <u>is supposed</u> to have changed it, so that now anyone born after 6 Apr. 1953 will have to retire at 65 / 66 & upwards in the future.
    Haven't seen anything in writing about this, just one short news item illustrating 2 58 year olds, 1 born pre- Apr 6 - able to retire at 63 & 1 born just after Apr 6 who's going to have to work a further two years!

8. depends whether you are talking about the state pension, or teachers pension.

state pension age is rising.

9. Probably best if OP retires now and does every child a favour.

10. Why are you always so nasty?

11. I'm not nasty, just a realist about the balance between conflicting needs, and the reasons against promoting the view of the takers in the equasion.

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

[​IMG]

13. Lovely piccy of retiring teacher... bout the right age too.

14. Is it not normal to wonder how to secure your retirement and plan financially?
    What on earth does that have to do with your qualification or merit at the job you do?
    Why on EARTH should she leave teaching now "to do children a favour"?
    Her only question was, within the plethora of info at the moment, when she could expect to retire.
    Just what did you see in that question which made you feel competent to suggest she would be doing children a favour by leaving now?

15. Christ, she is 47.
    Not some drunk twenty odd binge drinker in New Market.

16. Has it not escaped your notice that the world is in recession, and that the overly inflated public sector cannot sustain "security", or perhaps you are on a different planet to everyone else?
    Why should a teacher on a salary scale deserve more job security or pension rights than anyone else? The present situation would not exist in a market economy, and it only exists because of old fashioned welfare state ideiology which is no longer relevant or cost effective in delivering education. Even teacher's holidays are based on having to have time off to bring the harvest in by children!!!!
    Everyone wonders about securing their retirement and financial security and, no, the over expectant, overly indulged teachig profession is no exeption to a bit of economic reality.
    If I had my time over again, I wouldn't have sent any of my children near a teacher in a school as they exist today, and I hope that in a few years the idea of the traditional school and the traditional teacher will be a thing of the past, along with their "pensions".

17. Back to the original question; from what I understand you can still access your teacher's pension from 55 (with actuarial reduced amounts etc) but you will not get your state pension until about 66.
    So the question is would your teacher's pension be enough to survive on until you get to the age when you can draw your state pension?
    Another thing to consider is that this government may also raise the ages at which you can access other 'benefits' such as bus passes, free prescriptions and eye tests, winter fuel payments etc. I also assume that those in dire financial straits would not be able to get pension credit (if they are assessed as needing it) until after they reach state pension age. [​IMG]

18. Unfortunately, wanting everything for nothing is the original question.

19. Of course!
    But all she was bleddy asking was at what age she could - at the moment, as things are - expect to retire!