1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Pension queries

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Mar 9, 2018.

  1. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    I had continuous service with Teachers’ Pension Service contributions of almost thirty years, but began supply teaching recently.

    All I have done is write to inform the TPS that I am currently not in pensionable service. Not sure if I should have done anything else?

    Also, wondered what happens if I drop dead ( let’s hope not)? Does the Death Grant still apply when I am not in TPS pensionable service?
  2. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    Lara mfl 05 and Lucilla90 like this.
  3. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    Thanks for this, I have looked on the website before, but I think you are right about giving them a call.

    From that section, it appears that the death grant only applies for one year, of out of service due to incapacity. It isn’t clear whether it still applies if choosing to leave service for a period.

    It would be a bad situation to lose that after all these years, I will give them a call.
    Lara mfl 05 and lindenlea like this.
  4. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    If you are in a union then take advantage of the free advice you can get from their partners. NASUWT is Wesleyan. NUT (I think) is Aviva. I can recommend the Wesleyan. In fact I think they will give you advise if you are a teacher without being a member of NASUWT.
    agathamorse likes this.
  5. baxterbasics

    baxterbasics Senior commenter

    I pay my own pension privately
  6. applecrumblebumble

    applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

    I think you would lose death grant once out of pensionable service but the advice above all very useful.
  7. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    But would that mean my pension would be totally lost if I died now, whilst not in pensionable service, or could my family still access it another way? ( I know I need to get some advice...just wondered what other supply teachers have dobe anout their pensions.)

    I don’t want to transfer it to another scheme, as hope to get a job again someday.
    agathamorse likes this.
  8. applecrumblebumble

    applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

    I do not know if you are married or children but if you have such dependents then they can be named and could receive half of your accrued pension but again as above seek advice from TPS or Wesleyan.
    agathamorse likes this.

Share This Page