1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension Pot Scams

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by monicabilongame, Sep 27, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. icaldwell

icaldwell New commenter

However, members of TP do not have a pot to be scammed. I view the lump sum as another thing altogether.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I never understand how people are so stupid as to fall for this stuff. Anyone calling my mother aged 87 is quite likely to get short shrift at any time. I have not had any of these, but a start would be to ban all the adverts in the sort of magazines older folks read, and on the internet. The sainted independent quoted above have popups that try to get your details. Start by culling them.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My parents had many many rerquests from charities through the post and responded to some but not all. They were sensible about it but were upset by the continual flow of "stuff" that came through the letter box. It did however allow my mother to channel Dorothy Parker with a querulous "What fresh hell is this?" on a regular basis.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I take the Radio Times and every week, in the guise of their regular 'Money' page, they carry a massive, unmarked (as in, it doesn't say "advertisement") ad for a 'cash in the value of your house' equity release firm. It winds me up no end, EVERY week.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

VERY few people would benefit from equity release. And if your old folks do that, and die, and the house still has some residual value after the calculation of the "debt" they then tie it up in litigation until they can get their mitts on the lot!

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Just repeat, every time you read one of these adverts:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true...."

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

And here's a story of the possible consequences:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mo...e-pay-Aviva-135-000-spend-years-together.html

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Worse than I even thought, but no surprise.