1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pension loss after school restructure and TLR removal

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by artbinki, Jun 6, 2011.

1. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

Hi - am feeling a bit desperate here. I have spent 15 out of the last 17 years at my school
    dedicating myself to pastoral work, to an extent where i forgot to have a family of my own. I have been unable to move schools as pastoral roles are not externally advertised in my area. My head has announced a re-structure and is reducing the number of pastoral staff.
    What i need to know is... i have paid pension contributions of a higher rate due to my tlr, for 15 years, i am not set to retire for another 17. If i lose my pastoral job it is unlikely i will get another one and i feel i am now too old to start again going down a departmental route.
    When you lose your job due to a restrucure is that part of your pension 'secure' or do you lose everything?
    This makes me especially mad as a MOS recently retired after being mainscale for all but her last 3 years, then sudden promotion. Will i lose everythin i have paid for? I am so upset over this as i have stupidly devoted myself to one school form the age of 25, and am now totally 'dead ended'.

Any help or advice please???

2. Informant

Informant New commenter

If your salary decreases then you will rely on a pension based on the average of the best 3 consecutive years revalued salaries from the last 10 years of service (all index linked to current day values http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/members1.htm ).
    With 17 years to go it appears your higher contributions will become irrelevant ancient history. However, while the government is considering the Hutton review which proposes a new way of calculating pensions based on career average, Hutton has clearly recommended that existing benefits must be preserved.
    The discussion is taking place now, but there is a real possibility your position today could be OK as described in my first paragraph, then if Hutton's recommendations are applied they may be protected after the pension scheme is reformed.
    Don't panic just yet, but watch this space.

3. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

Well - got the news today - have lost TLR payment and job i loved. Am very angry that i will
    have paid additional pension for 15 years and will now retire (in about 25 years) on a pension
    not linked to it. Am very angry that becasue of Union directives I lose my TLR after 15 years
    yet my Assistant HOY keeps his after only 2 years in the job.

4. Sorry. What union directive has caused you to lose your TLR?
    I thought your school was going through a restructuring according to an earlier posting.

5. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

Just to clarify. I'm a bit unsure why there is still be an assistant head of year but no longer your head of year role?