1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension delay due to 24-hour rule?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Hanow, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I have recently had a conversation with someone at the TPA - and have to confess, remain very confused.
    I shall be 60 this year and so shall not receive my state pension until next year, but my teacher's pension is payable from this year. However, as I have just accepted some One-to-One tuition work, I mentioned that during my conversation regarding how to/when to request my pension. The officer I spoke to told me to ensure that I did not undertake any of this tuition work on by birthday, nor for 24 hours either side of that day, indicating that if I did, my pension start date would be significantly delayed.
    Does anyone know what this is about? I have to confess, I remain baffled as to why. From what I understood, the quantity of work undertaken throughout the year was immaterial, only as long as I avoided the dates around my birthday. [​IMG]
    I have tried to look it up online, but can only find something similar relating to health workers and their pensions - albeit that is as clear as mud as well!

2. I have recently had a conversation with someone at the TPA - and have to confess, remain very confused.
    I shall be 60 this year and so shall not receive my state pension until next year, but my teacher's pension is payable from this year. However, as I have just accepted some One-to-One tuition work, I mentioned that during my conversation regarding how to/when to request my pension. The officer I spoke to told me to ensure that I did not undertake any of this tuition work on by birthday, nor for 24 hours either side of that day, indicating that if I did, my pension start date would be significantly delayed.
    Does anyone know what this is about? I have to confess, I remain baffled as to why. From what I understood, the quantity of work undertaken throughout the year was immaterial, only as long as I avoided the dates around my birthday. [​IMG]
    I have tried to look it up online, but can only find something similar relating to health workers and their pensions - albeit that is as clear as mud as well!