1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension - days out

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by daisy1603, Jul 25, 2019.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

Just wondering what the 'days out' means on employment history for my pension. For the school I worked for most recently it is showing a lot of days out but I'm not sure why?
    Could it be that they have shown the full time salary to the pensions people and I was only part time so the days out is the full time salary less the days I didn't work?

Thanks!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

TPS website says this

If your employer has included excluded days in their record of your service and salary, this will be mirrored on your Benefit Statement. Days excluded (i.e. (not worked and not counting towards reckonable service in the Final Salary arrangement) are used when deciding the actual reckonable service and salary rate for the period that counts towards your Final Salary benefits, or for Career Average benefits to decide the actual pensionable earnings in the time period. But if you’re part-time we ask your employer to provide your actual part-time pensionable earnings and, although we will still derive the number of days excluded in the period, it’s the actual reported pensionable earnings that will be used to determine your pension benefits.
    But that's not very helpful in explaining what those days might be! I don't know the answer, the school that submitted the data are the only people who can definitively answer it as that is where the information given to TPS originated from. Sickness after sick pay has expired, Maternity leave after ML pay has expired, strike days, and unpaid time off in term time have all been suggested on other sites.

But it appears that it has nothing to do with working part time. The difference is that if, eg, you are on strike you are still contractually employed on the strike day. You just unpaid because you didn't work and so it doesn't count to pensionable service. That's different to being p/t/ If you have a p/t contract and work Mon Tues Weds then Thursday and Friday aren't 'days out' because you aren't contractually employed on those days. I'm not an expert on this though, one of the experts here may be able to confirm it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I think it may well be due to being part-time as my record and those of p-timers at my school is the same, with days out seemingly used to represent your part-time ness. An odd way of doing it for sure.