1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension contributions?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by john1207, Jun 7, 2020.

1. john1207

john1207 New commenter

Does anybody know are umbrella companies/agencies expected to contribute to pension? I am a supply teacher and I have been auto-enrolled into a pension scheme. Thanks in advance

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  2. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

If you are paid by an umbrella company they will pass the employer's contribution on to you the same as they do with NI, ie. it's deducted from your wages. If you are paid directly by an agency, the agency pays the employer's contribution to the pension ( and the employer's NI). Avoid being paid through an umbrella company if you can.

agathamorse, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Yes you find that with an umbrella company you pay your own NI contributions, the companies part as well and it is the same with pensions, in fact it is amazing what they deduct from your pay packet.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  4. john1207

john1207 New commenter

Hi I just wondered as I noticed since being furloughed(for which I am grateful)generate(umbrella company) have changed pension provider and does not contribute towards pension.. I noticed previous pension provider did contribute 2% towards pension(which is better than norhing) even though I was with an umbrella company.I think it was a new legal requirement. Maybe they change pension provider as I am now being furloughed, not sure though. Any thoughts, anybody in a similar situation could shed some light? Many thanks

5. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

John, i got something off Smart Pensions and like you, I am with Generate, but I must admit I presumed that the status quo continued. I am unsure of the answer and wonder if that the situation will change when work commences, but I do nit like them changing pension providers with out asking us, they should give us the option and not foster the change on us.

6. john1207

john1207 New commenter

Historygrump, re change pension provider-I think it must have something to wwith furlough. Smart does not contribute but previous did. I wonder how much longer we will be furloughed? Nothing more from Generate. How will it affect us in September when employer has to pay 10%? I know this is sometime away but I am expecting Sept to be quiet