1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension Contribution/Marking Papers?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Cunni, Feb 14, 2011.

1. If all goes well I'll be qualified this year and have a few questions regarding salary...

1) What is the pension contribution you pay?

2) A few teachers I know mark exam papers as a sideline during the holidays, how does this pay and how time consuming is it?

2. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

If you work in a state school then all Summer exam marking is during the summer term (you might be in the holidays for an independent school). In my experience it is poorly paid and quite time consuming...But I did do it for nearly 20 years!

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'm marking A2 at the moment and I have no life. I am also past my deadline. It pays better than GCSE, but I average 2-3 papers an hour depending on handwriting, length of responses and working out how to implement the mark scheme. 2 paper an hour isn't much more than the minimum wage.
    When I marked KS3 I could do 10 papers and hour! GCSE Lit (AQAB so 3 texts) I got up to 4 on a good day.
    It's great for understanding how to approach your subject, but NQTs are not usually accepted for marking - unless the rules have changed?