1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension challenge

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by pentagonal, Sep 22, 2019.

1. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

Is it worth paying £1500 + VAT to take the government to court with Leigh Day?
    Really struggling to understand this, as surely if there is decision about age discrimination (like the firefighters) they will change it for all those affected.

2. SingToAng

SingToAng New commenter

I am sure the unions will advise on this.

3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I think that's a question to ask Leigh Day, i.e. "What extra value to me is there in joining this class action over the standard recompense that the government will be offering all teachers in my situation?" - good luck in getting a straight answer to that one. It's interesting to read that they think the changes amount to around £20,000 a year difference. So it's an £1800 bet that they'll be able to squeeze more than that out of the government (or tax-payer since the government simply pass on their debts to the public). Personally I wouldn't, even if I was one of those that would qualify - I trust the unions to come to a fair agreement with the government given that they've already indicated that no-one will be put back into a worse position.

Jamvic and Prim like this.
  4. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

Impossible to ask. You sign up online and the £1800 is deducted from any settlement. You do not need to pay up front.

5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Call me cynical but I'd check that carefully as well...the website says that it'll be payable at the end of the case...it doesn't say whether it'll be payable if it is lost (or any other conclusion).

6. CAAC

CAAC New commenter

It states no win no fee (in terms of their fees) but who pays the other sides costs if they win? Will this be passed in to the teachers who have signed up. I’d have thought it’d be substantial cost.

border_walker likes this.