1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Pension Arrears

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by phatsals, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. phatsals

    phatsals Occasional commenter

    If you pay a lump sum you can then claim back the tax. This has been posted very recently on I think the Retirement forum.
    You would probably be wise to contact your union to ask for further information or even your LEA.
  2. coppull

    coppull New commenter

    You should speak to your Union( at a Regional Centre Level),about this matter. The Union will have dealt with this type of problem before.Beware you need also to claim back tax and national insurance contributions in this process,not just claimimg tax relief your under paid contributions.This can often take some time.[​IMG]
    The LEA are able to take extra money out of your salary, but discussions needed by yourself or the Union,who are likely to have the right contacts in the Pay Department.
  3. MayKasahara

    MayKasahara New commenter

    Thank you for your replies, I will speak to my union!
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    We can all pay extra ito our pensions but although we get the tax relief, we wouldn't get the employer contribution. The OP's issue is different as they don't want to purchase extra retirement provision but re-instate what should have been deducted a few years ago.
    I don't know whether restitution can be made at a later date but the Union seems to be the best port of call to begin with.
  5. phatsals

    phatsals Occasional commenter

    I had a colleague several years ago who had not had deductions taken for TPS when they ought to have been. The LEA had to repay their contribution and she had to pay hers as the fault was with LEA.
  6. I am in the same situation - I had two part time jobs for the same LEA and they only paid pension contributions for one, instead of both (Duh!)
    Anyway, when it came to light, the LEA suggested that I do the same as you, and pay the TPS (either lump sum, or work it out monthly with them), and then claim back the tax. I kicked up a bit of a stink and after a lot of wrangling (as it was LEA's fault), they agreed to pay the full amount back to the TPS (their contribution and mine), and then I am paying back the arrears that I owe straight to the LEA, through my pay, at an agreed amount. It saves me a lot of hassle!

Share This Page