1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pension advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lisarpg, Jul 9, 2020.

1. lisarpg

lisarpg New commenter

I have just been looking over my annual teachers pension statement and notice I have 9 days out of service on a 20 year service record. Looking closer I realise that this was a 9 day compassionate leave I had when my dad died and I had to go back home. This was paid leave and within the council’s 10 day allowance. Why has this affected my service record and is it something that can be overturned?
    Advice please.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If it was paid I'd have thought there shouldn't be a gap. The only way to get it corrected is for your employer at the time to give TPS updated information confirming you were employed those 9 days. So you need to contact the school/LA who employed you.

A long shot probably, but do you still have your payslip for that month?

phlogiston likes this.
  3. lisarpg

lisarpg New commenter

I’m currently looking, I can find months before and after but not during (probably the circumstances). It was definitely paid though because as the main breadwinner I couldn’t have afforded not. I guess I‘ll have to write to the council and see.
    Many thanks

4. judeahart

judeahart New commenter

I have recently been checking my pension statement too. I have 127 'days out' in the Autumn term of 2004, which must coincide with a maternity leave. I was on a full time permanent contract in a LA school at the time. Should maternity leave be classed as 'days out'?
    I also found another period (129 days) that is listed as 'days out' in Summer term 2006. This was a full time temporary contract in another LA school.
    I have payslips for both of these periods, except for one August (I probably never collected it from school) showing that I paid pension contributions, so I will contact the city/county council. Just hope it isn't too late to get them reinstated, as together they add up to 256 days, which is almost an academic year.

5. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

You will not be too late to have your pension contributions checked out, though it may take sometime.Always keep and check your final salary slip for the end of the tax year.

6. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Check if you want to have it overturned...9 days extra pension may be outweighed by the 'hypothetical calculation' that is done if you have a break in service.

7. diddydave

Similarly, if these were your only days out it wouldn't be inconceivable that they may actually work to your advantage. Of course though you do have to confirm when you come to draw your pension that your record is correct and if they find out later that it is not then could have to repay any extra.

The reason it may work to your advantage is that a 'hypothetical calculation' is carried out every time there is a break in service (this is to protect teachers who take a break for any reason - though having children is one of the most common). The calculation would use your salaries from 1994-2004 and then 1996-2006 and given that the years following those were, generally, below inflation pay rises, or even pay freezes, the hypothetical calculation could come to more than the other methods.

8. diddydave

To answer your question directly though this page says that maternity leave should not be counted as 'days out' though you may have chosen to 'opt out':https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/...ourage members going on,opt out of the Scheme.

9. judeahart

judeahart New commenter

upload_2020-7-19_1-5-19.png
    Thank you for that. I have no recollection of 'opting out' and can't imagine why I may have done that, but it was 15 years ago now and I have slept since then. I'll have to make enquiries and see if I can find out.

10. diddydave

Slept...tsk tsk...and call yourself a teacher! ;)

You do have to sign/affirm something when you come to take your pension that the record is correct and the only people who can put it right is the employer so it's worth getting it sorted out sooner rather than later.

However, if it turns out that you did have a break of 127 days back in 2004 it may work in your favour...but no-one at the Teachers Pension scheme will give you a figure. One person whose statement I went through had a break back in the early 2000s and their pension turned out to be around 25% higher than was being shown on their benefit statement.

At the worst you have lost 127/365ths of 1/80th of your final salary from your pension. (For a final salary of £50,000 that would be around £200 less a year on the pension).

percival73 likes this.