1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Penpals Handwriting Year 1 teacher's book- any good if you are not teaching joins yet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mindthegap, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I am looking for a resource to support me teach handwriting to struggling writers in Year 1. Would this resource be any use, or does the Year 1 teachers' book focus on joined writing? I wondered about getting the foundation book, but thought it might focus too much on mark making type activities. Any advice?

2. sugababes

sugababes New commenter

The year one book spends the first term looking at individual letters (either grouped into families or focussing on the vowels) then term 2 and 3 start looking at joining 2 (and sometimes 3 I think?) letters together. Not sure about the Reception book.
    I'm in year 2 but because the Y2 book focuses on joining whole words, I usually spend at least the first term or two going over the year 1 work to get them used to joining letters.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Brilliant. Thanks!

4. Also, would you recommend the pupils'book or just the teachers' book?

5. karentee

karentee New commenter

I have used this before and would certainly recommend the pupils books (over the teachers one) and if you can afford it the CD is great, it has animated clips and videos of ideas for gross and fine motor skills

6. Thanks. V useful to know!