1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Penpals for Handwriting or Nelson Handwriting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by foundation, Jul 23, 2011.

1. I am researching a new handwriting scheme to purchase for use with Reception to Year 6. Would be really helpful to have people's opinions of each and recommendations.
    Thanks

2. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Joined%20Handwriting.pdf

Do you really need a scheme?
    You can teach joined handwriting very quickly from, say, Year Two - and then they just 'use it' rather than need practice all the time, year on year.
    My opinion is to teach print in Reception and Year One.

3. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

Hi we chose to use Folens Spectrum which is dyslexia friendly...have had fantastic results and is very easy to dip into.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have horrendous handwriting and tend to not join when writing on the board, so having a program to support me is vital. We use Nelson, and it's very clear, sets out the join, shows them how to do it perfectly, I then recreate this on the whiteboard and practice myself with them. Love it.

5. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

We use Handwriting for Windows from http://www.kber.co.uk/
    You can set up your own choice of loops, letter styles etc. You can have dottted letters, or solid print, pre-cursive or cursive and you can choose the size then print off activities for the children to do. You can also use it to make classroom signs in cursive, and the children can write in cursive on the computer when they are doing Literacy activities.
    Alongside that we start with Penpals because it has different strategies/activities for practising the letters, that work well for Early Years and later on.

6. Thanks..any more please!

7. We bought Penpals which was excellent for warm up exercises and links beautifully to brain gym, but we've just switched to Handwriting for Windows, as all lead from the line and you don't need to take your pen off the page for any letter.