1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Penfriends

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Can anyone remember the organisation, where kids could apply for penpalsfrom all over the world?
    You got a little form to fill out in school, and then they were sent off, and you were sent a little slip with the details of your new penfriend on.
    The leaflet was usually orange and white I think :/

2. Can anyone remember the organisation, where kids could apply for penpalsfrom all over the world?
    You got a little form to fill out in school, and then they were sent off, and you were sent a little slip with the details of your new penfriend on.
    The leaflet was usually orange and white I think :/

3. I know the one you mean, but can't think for the life of me what it was called or if it still exists!

4. I was just thinking about it, lol, and it was annoying me because I couldn't remember the name. I was always sending off for penpals.

5. Me too, I had them all over the place.
    I wonder what they are doing nowadays...

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I know which one you mean but I can't remember the name either. I remember I had two penfriends one in Germany and one in America, (for me) it was really interesting finding out about their culture and working out how much it differed frommy own.

7. I got one of my German penfriends to write me out situations for my Olevel German oral - you know - at the train station, at the post office, being lost etc. He was called Rudolf, bless him!

8. I had one in Germany, one in France, one in Australia, one in Vietnam, one in Togo and Tobago, one in Guatamala...and a few more I am afraid I have forgotten.
    Olaf from Berlin was so sweet. So was Than from Vietman. I wanted to marry both of them. I even got to meet both of them. I was so in love.
    Gosh, I do wonder what they look like now - they could be bald and fat and have spawned 75 kids...

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Thank you CQ for that reminder, I too had one in France and in Thailand (I think). Gosh I wrote a lot, I rarely write letters these days, I know it's a shame.

10. I had one called Godfrey from somewhere in Africa - but I couldn't understand a thing he wrote, lol!

11. I am on a mission now - I am going to try and find some of them. The problem is I can only remember the name of the one in Australia (who was female, so may now be married with a different name) and my darling Than. Oh he was so lovely. He left Vietnam to go to Paris (and I spent 3 very nice months there with him). I can't remember Olaf's surname...and as I am a permanent declutterer, I have no letters left. But some day, now my memory has been reactivated, I shall remember...
    Google here I come...

12. LOL!

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I had a girl from Mexico and another girl from Germany, but I can't remember what the organisation was called, sorry!

14. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I know I have their letters somewhere (perenial horder).

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

IYS - based in Finland.

International Youth Service?

16. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

I had various penfriends including one from Australia in 1992. I'm proud to say we have met up and stayed with each other 3 times (twice her visiting UK, once when I was in Melbourne)
    I'm not sure how well we would get on as 'real' friends but certainly enough to enjoy meeting. It started as letters, moved to emails and now we keep up via Facebook.

17. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Lilac, you've just stopped my brain from exploding with frustration.

18. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

19. Yes, Lilac that was it! Thank you :)

20. YES. That was it!