1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Penelope Keith & Richard Briers

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by qdaveq, Nov 30, 2015.

1. qdaveq

qdaveq New commenter

The advice often given to those finding difficulty with behaviour management is never to take it personally, or think "It must just be me." Imagine then, one class of children being told off by Penelope Keith and another by Richard Briers. Suppose Keith and Briers use identical behaviour management approaches, the same look in their eyes, the same language, the same tone of voice. Would there be a difference? Would one class sit bolt upright and the other be less bothered? In which class would you rather be? Would Briers find that his inherent warmth and "niceness" meant that despite following school policy, taking note of advice given and learning from the approaches of other teachers, the children just didn't take him seriously? Would he be baffled about how to solve the problem without fundamentally changing his personality, something which he didn't feel able or willing to do?
    I am Richard Briers and after two years two years of earning money as a teacher, I think it might be time to get a couple of pigs and dig up my lawn.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. qdaveq

qdaveq New commenter

Are you saying that Briers has no hope and must move to a sector where behaviour may be less of an issue? Can only Penolope Keith types be successful at behaviour management? Why should this be the case? Must some teachers become something they're not, in order to be successful?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Different people suit different contexts.

I was suggesting a possible alternative to the pig-keeping.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. qdaveq

qdaveq New commenter

"Different people suit different contexts"

Thank you TheoGriff, you are the first person to say this to me. Perhaps my colleagues were being too polite. There was no mention in training of how an individual's personality and character might help or hinder their ability to do the job. Perhaps someone should have told me sooner that I might be too nice and mild mannered to be successful as a teacher. The links make interesting reading, but I am Primary, so perhaps I'll stick to building and plumbing work.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Independent schools cover all age groups . . .

Best wishes

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S. if you want me back here tomorrow, you'd better tag me thus @TheoGriff Otherwise I may not think to re-visit this thread.

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Some of us are too young to know who Penelope Keith and Richard Briers were?

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Keith is on from the beginning and Briers shows up around 2.30:

10. qdaveq

qdaveq New commenter

Keith is harsh and spiky, Briers is warm and cuddly. You can only be a teacher if you're like Keith.

11. welshwizard

She does remind me of a number of Headteachers!!

12. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

@welshwizard, you are not too young to remember Penelope Keith and Richard Briers, although it is possible that television had not reached the Valleys when you were a lad.

13. welshwizard

I only watched pobl y cwm when I was growing up