1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pencil grip

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lottie_lulu246, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Hi
    I'm an NQT and I've just started in early years. I'm worried that when I am observed I will be marked down because I have an incorrect pencil grip. I've held a pen this way since I was 4 (21 years) I have tried to change my grip but my handwriting ends up looking the same or worse than the children in my class.
    Will this affect my Early Years career? I am able to demonstrate how to correctly hold the pencil but I am unable to write with it myself.
    Please help ! x

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If that is the only thing, or even the most important thing, an observer sees, then you've done a great job!

No it won't affect your career!
    It isn't affect you passing teaching practice did it? Not getting a job?

Worry about things like, how the children will settle. How you'll organise a full age-appropriate curriculum in covid times. Your pencil grip is totally unimportant. I promise.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I had the same problem too. It is worth learning how to hold a pen properly and investing in adult pencil grips to do so. Holding a pen incorrectly will result in unnecessary strain to one's hand. So trying to ensure that all the pens, pencils, board markers you use have grips, will eventually improve your hand grip.

I have been using grips on and off for over 10 years and it has, change the way I hold a pen, but not perfected it. I also invest in ergonomic pens, which encourage you to hold pens in the correct way.

Despite doing this, my natural grip, unaided, without a pencil grip, isn't as good as it should be and without a grip, my hand begins to ache.

Wanting to ensure that all your students do not fall into this bad habit is a wonderful thing.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  4. shinynewteacher

shinynewteacher New commenter

I would develop your skill to holding properly. I had to learn how to have neater handwriting haha. But, one of the teaching standards clearly states modelling which means you should be doing it correctly for the children to see. We use pencil grips on the end for our children who can't hold properly which could help. Don't panic, just try and develop the correct way.