1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Penang

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 2mature, Oct 16, 2018.

1. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi, I am currently in the process of a job offer from Penang. Not the school at the top of the hill....Offer is 11500 myr and have non working spouse. This includes accommodation allowance 2000myr. Just wondering if anybody can let me know about practicalities of this package. I really like the look of school/location and any reviews I fond seem generally positive. Feel free to PM Thanks in advance

2. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Hi I Live In Penang on the Island but work on the mainland. I'm a HOD for ICT. My package is 19000 Myr which includes both accommodation and Car allowance. (The car been essential). I am single and have a fairly comfortable life style. With the package you mention It might be a tight squeeze as if you live on the Island rents can be between 450 to 600 pounds a month. Living on the mainland would be the cheaper option.

2mature likes this.
  3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I'd say that's quite a low offer if it includes your housing allowance.

I started on 15,500 per month in KL including housing allowance. Obviously it's more expensive here than in Penang but it's good to be able to make comparisons.

It does also depend on your lifestyle to some extent - eat and live like a local, you'll be fine on that salary. Want to travel, have a car, eat at nice places? Nope.

2mature likes this.
  4. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Also the tax is 28 %. And the 180 day rule needs to be checked out otherwise no rebate on the tax paid.

2mature likes this.
  5. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Thanks for the replies so far will have to have a good look at it. Thanks

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Mainland salaries are usually higher than on the island of Penang. Why? Because you get the bonus of living on a tropical, paradisiacal island. I say this sarcastically.
    The jewel school needs to offer a bigger package because of the obvious lack of appeal of that school’s location.

2mature likes this.
  7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

PM’d you.

2mature likes this.
  8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

That's a bad salary.

grdwdgrrrl and 2mature like this.
  9. 2mature

2mature New commenter

thanks all again...

10. HMLDN36

HMLDN36 New commenter

Also PM’d you.

2mature likes this.
  11. claytie

claytie New commenter

I was on 11500 MYR plus a 4000 MYR housing allowance 8 years ago.....so that seems a low wage. Although I was on the mainland. Why should it be less on Penang, anyway??

2mature likes this.
  12. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Thank you, my 11500 would include housing, seems to be a trend to be lower on the island...

13. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

I am also in a similar situation with potentially the same school. The salary does seem low but the school looks great. If somebody could also PM me (that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2mature likes this.
  14. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Rents on the island are more compared to the mainland. Also some don't have to want to pay the daily toll over either bridge

2mature and bobbingtoncrescent like this.
  15. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Including housing allowance, your offer is interesting. I worked in Malaysia and love the country. Here are a few things to dig deeper into:

- Resident status tax. With your low income, I would advise you to make sure that you are in the country for 180 days. You can leave for 2 weeks, I did during Christmas break but make sure that you are in the country (stamped in your passport) by December 31st. This is because the number of days you've done the previous calendar year will roll onto the next. Their end of fiscal year is April. Even as a resident, remember that your salary will be 6 figures and your tax will be around 24 - 28%. That is a lot!
    - Rents: your low offer have the possibility of getting eaten by your rent. There is a high notion of business and expats looking for an apartment is business.
    - Ask about how the place calculates your EPF. EPF is their version of the pension. Some establishments make you pay the percentage and they will match the same percentage. When I was there I didn't have to and it's not in their tax laws either. The 12% EPF is mandatory for all companies.

bobbingtoncrescent likes this.
  16. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi Gerlano,

Thanks so much.
    I will enquire regarding tax status...I know with epf i am to pay 11% and they will pay 12%, that sound about right. I really like the school from what I know and the area but as you say the concern is is it feasible, specifically in year one...thanks so much for your input

17. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I worked in Malaysia (Penang) on a low salary. After tax, EPF, housing, etc. I was left with about 5500RM per month. I was solo at the time and it was perfectly fine. I didn't worry about savings as the EPF took care of that for me. The issue about tax for that first few months for me was a total non-issue. We just holiday-ed within Malaysia for that time, hardly a big deal! I had a 3-bed condo apartment for 2000RM per month, with a beautiful sea view. This was not rare. The EPF meant I left with a big chunk of cash after 4 years. This was quite a few years ago now, in fairness. I left in 2013.

2mature likes this.
  18. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Heads up. Not all schools will do the Epf. They don't in mine. Just saying.

2mature likes this.
  19. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

2mature likes this.
  20. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Interesting James. But my School here in Penang is part of a global chain and had told all the new staff that they are not part of the EPF scheme. I think there more to this than this as I have had advice that not all employers have to opt into the scheme.