1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Penang

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by msnessy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. msnessy

msnessy New commenter

I'm looking for some information on salaries for Penang and on the school of the patron saint of travellers. Is 11,000 MYR a reasonable salary to live on? I'm not a young barhopping teacher, I do like to eat out a couple of nights a week but more importantly I like to travel. I'm concerned the salary may not allow that. Also is all well at the travellers patron saint establishment?

2. Anon (2018)

Anon (2018) New commenter

If that is take-home then you are laughing, if not, you will need to do your maths for rental in Penang. Eating out is cheap in Penang and there is a real mix of great restaurants there. You are looking at 25-35 MYR for dinner and a soft drink for a mid-range/decent place (significantly less if you seek it out). Flights to KL as a hub are always cheap.

3. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I've sent you a "conversation" message. Happy to chat.

4. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

that'll probably be tenners @11K.
    It's OK. Lifestyle is good. Not huge salary but good enough to have a good lifestyle and eat out every night.

5. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Low end of salary range for Malaysia, but I can think of two Penang schools that will pay that low: Royal school and 2x5+b.
    On the other hand, it is enough to enjoy yourself: eat out and travel Malaysia. If you need to send money home (debts / mortgage) it may not be enough, otherwise you'll have a fine time.

6. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

Overrated tourist town.

7. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

Haven't taught in Penang but spent time there travelling and it's a great Island - particularly Georgetown - which I think has got the best food in Asia (huge claim I know!) Whilst there, we found it to be pretty cheap to eat out and entertain etc - looking around 15RM for a meal at many of the hawker stalls

8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi 11k is low especially as the RM is weak eg. Cost of going to thailand increased by 20% in a year due to RM collapse.

Also bear in mind Malaysia is now not travel friendly. You cannot travel for more than 2 weeks a year outside of malaysia. If you do you are non resident for tax purposes as pay flat rate 26% tax. Many have been caught out and forced to pay massive amounts of tax back. Many HR departments dont know this until someone gets caught.

A dumb **** move by malaysia but TIA.

9. OnceBurnt

OnceBurnt New commenter

Has anyone else noticed Tenners is again advertising anonymously but with yet another agency? Their other island school is on principal #8? #9? in five years.

Oh and re the tax thing, when I left Tenners a few years ago I sent in my tax refund claim. It wasn't processed until some time after I had left and instead of a large refund I received a large bill. So (a) Tenners misreported my earnings to Malaysia IRD or (b) they did not remit the full tax withheld or (c) they did not withhold enough. As Nemo implies, be most vigilant re Malaysia tax.

10. aussie_teacher_nt

aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

Pffft, 2 weeks that's ludicrous considering your living in one of the main travel hubs of Asia. Here have a holiday but if you go to Thailand for 15 days them obviously you don't actually live here.... wierd, wierd, wierd!

11. rickpat

rickpat New commenter

\

Is it really as simple as that? I'm trying (and failing) to clue myself up about Malaysian tax. As the tax year is jan to Dec, a teacher starting in Aug 2016 will not be able to be a resident for tax purposes this year (resident less than 182 days) and therefore pays 26% tax. whether this can at at any point be reclaimed I am unsure, and I think it's dependent on the following years tax residency and yes there's something about a 14 day limit between for social visits between blocks of residency involved.

However.... if i understand correctly 2017 shouldn't be a problem, if they are resident 182 days or more then they are resident for tax purposes and I don't think that they are limited to 14 days outside the country - or are they?

12. musician_rules_ok

musician_rules_ok New commenter

I have just checked what 11000MYR is and it comes out at £1840. That's flippin good money for Malaysia. That's 21k a year. Go for it

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Rickpat is right fe taxes. The first teaching year is hard, as you'll have to link it with the next calendar year in order to get residency for both years. So you can barely travel, just one trip out of no more than 14 days all school year, and that pretty much has to be at Christmas. Consider it a time to explore Malaysia. Lots to explore, so not too much of a hardship.
    After you've done your 182 consecutive days Jan through end of June, you're good to go. Only need to be in country any 182 days during the year, dead easy since we work at least that many days a year.

14. wbodie

wbodie New commenter

Re tax, the 182 days requirement is correct. Say you arrive in August you will pay 28% tax as a non resident (it's just gone up in new budget). You need to be in Malaysia on the 31st December and 1st January and from then the 182 days starts counting so you can leave for up to 14 days in that period.
    Your school should apply for a tax refund for you and calculate your tax as a resident from Jan 1st onwards.
    After your first year (ie August) there should be no problem re tax and in future years (I think from the third year as resident but I could be wrong) the 182 requirement drops to 90 days.

15. noodleq

noodleq New commenter

i've been working in penang as a local teacher for 3 years. cost of living for expatriates should be quite low if you're not the fussy type. lots of great food and places to go there. even more so, if you appreciate art and performing arts.

16. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

26%?? More like 28% and my new HR Department advise that you won't get the refund until 2018!!!

17. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Which refund? For tax year 2015, if you successfully link to tax year 2016, you should get the refund in July/August range.
    Or are you talking about linking tax year 2016 to 2017?
    And once you are resident, the amount your HR Department deducts will go down to whatever is the appropriate rate for your salary.

18. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Need a music teacher?