1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pen/Pencil Pots for my tables!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hayley1611, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am an NQT with a year 1 class as of September. I am currently trying to find some kind of storage for the childrens pens/pencils/rubbers/sharpeners etc to go in the middle of their tables.
    I have seen something perfect, but with 5 tables and priced at £18 each, I simply cant afford them :(
    http://mydeco.com/p/portable-pen-pots/GB000032RRPRD44WCPG3HFM7S4KQJFCKHOS57JOB/
    If anybody has seen something similar, please let me know!
    What do you use for stationery storage on your tables? I don't want to have to make anything as I don't have the time!
    Thanks

2. Hello,
    I am an NQT with a year 1 class as of September. I am currently trying to find some kind of storage for the childrens pens/pencils/rubbers/sharpeners etc to go in the middle of their tables.
    I have seen something perfect, but with 5 tables and priced at £18 each, I simply cant afford them :(
    http://mydeco.com/p/portable-pen-pots/GB000032RRPRD44WCPG3HFM7S4KQJFCKHOS57JOB/
    If anybody has seen something similar, please let me know!
    What do you use for stationery storage on your tables? I don't want to have to make anything as I don't have the time!
    Thanks

3. That is very expensive!

Do you have a branch of 'The Range' or Wilkinson's nearby? Both stores stock Cutlery drainers (made by Addis) for a couple of pounds each.

Enjoy your first year!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW they are lovely, but definitely too expensive and pointless for year 1, they won't appreciate the beauty.

Try Amazon for ones that are about £2.50 each! Nothing like as beautiful, but do the job. My local sainsburys had some as well.

5. I read on another link that cutlery trays were good - can get them cheaply and it means pencils don't fall out when pot tips over or stab people in the eye if you lean over the desk as they are flat. Lots of sections for the different things too.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hayley, if I end up buying one of those lovely pots for my own desk, then I will blame you entirely!

7. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

I was in tesco the other day and they had some mini metal buckets like those ones they could use. Think they were a bit bigger than that and they werent joined together but they were only £1 each! Came in really funky pinks and blues too! They were just in the welcome/seasonal aisle in our store (Bristol) but I imagine they'll have them across other stores too. Very cute!

8. I take full responsibilty! They are just so practical and so pretty at the same time. £18 each is just far too much though :(

9. Hi
    I used the 'really useful box' pencil boxes with my Y1 they have lids and stack too. I am moving to Y3 in Sept so guess what is moving with me [​IMG]

khans1404 likes this.
  10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Tesco value cutlery trays, white plastic £1. And KEEP THE RECEIPT!

11. purrrrrfect44

purrrrrfect44 New commenter

I agree with the other posters about looking at cutlery containers or cleaning caddies (I bought my last lot from Ikea)

But I have my eye on these this year

/p/ http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1717453/Caddy-Table-Top-Organiser/

.... similar to your suggestion but half the price (still very expensive though), I won't be getting these as I have spent money instead on creating an outdoor area for my class so they will enjoy my pound shop finds.

12. purrrrrfect44

purrrrrfect44 New commenter

Found them a little cheaper here....

http://www.costcuttersuk.com/art_essentials/class_caddy_table_top_organiser/207959_p.html

13. Teachers at my school use either these
    [​IMG]
    or these
    [​IMG]
    Both look the business and are handy because the different sections can be removed and moved around as needed. However, at £7 + VAT each they are still expensive if you have lots of tables to equip.

I personally went to the factory shop around the corner and got the cutlery drainer type things. I like the fact that it has a wide section across the whole width of it, where 100 squares, vocab books and key word sheets can be kept tidy.

14. [​IMG]
    Not quite as classy, but functional and they hold quite a bit. Also a lot cheaper at £1.29 each.

15. Ooh I have the purple ones and they hold a lot of stuff. You can fit number lines/100 squares or 5 glue sticks fit in there so they're not wandering round the class. I also put scissors in them. I got mine from Tesco, they had silver too.

16. ilovesparklythings

ilovesparklythings New commenter

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Some of these look huge to have on tables.

I think I'm going to just have a single pot this year (or maybe those clip box pencil case things with lids) just for 6 pencils and a sharpener per table. Maybe a rubber if I feel generous later in the year. Nothing else on tables.

Mine you those white IKEA ones would work for books, which will be on the top of a cupboard. Could have one per table, they can decorate it in the theme of their table name in the first week, one side for maths books and the other side for literacy books.

18. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

I'm going down the clippy-box route this year. I cover PPA and teach different classes so I'm hoping that the boxes (and lids) will help me to be tighter with stock and be tidier too. Rymans is the cheapest I've found so far.

19. S ave ice -cream tubs and yoghurt pots!