1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pen and Paper

Discussion in 'Education news' started by PeterQuint, Jun 29, 2019.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Exams too, I agree.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

So we’re not shaping the agenda, then.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

What would you like to see on the agenda?

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It would be interesting to know whether the topics have been decided in discussion with teachers or whether they are decided upon otherwise.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I write all the time. I can't give my clients, who are all quite needy, a computer to input all their details. They wouldn't know how. If someone calls I grab a bit of scrap paper and make notes. Far easier than having to do it on a computer.

At home I have a very expensive keyboard but I have bashed the bejesus out of it and now the keys are starting to fail. When a similar thing hapens with a pencil I can sharpen it. And the pencil costs tuppence. For decades we have been told that 'in the future' no one will hand write anything any more. The future, like tomorrow, never eems to arrive. I write as much as I ever did, in spite of spending a great deal of time on the computer.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Never had the dreaded trolley of shared laptops where half haven't been plugged in by the students in the last class and a random number are broken?

How about the IT Support staff that work from 9:30am to 2:30pm and have breaks at the same times you do?

Or worked at an academy where every student gets a laptop/tablet in Y7", which destroys the budget and most of them have vanished by Y9?

What about a private finance initiative IT contract where a basic PC has to be procured from the outsourced IT supplier at multiple times the cost?

You could even have an underused computer lab full of Apple Macs that are multiple times the cost of an equivalent PC.

The point is that pen and paper is very difficult to mess up.

agathamorse and blazer like this.
  7. gainly

gainly Established commenter