1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PEE or another approach

Discussion in 'English' started by ArthurDent, May 5, 2008.

1. PEE works with the weaker students as they can be forced into checking that they have all three elements in their work.

At KS4, I might change PEE to SEX (Statement, Evidence, eXplanation) depending on the make up of the class.

2. PEE for weaker students

PEA for more able (Point, Evidence, Analyse)

PEAL for able students (point, evidence, anaylse, link)

Ask them to use implie/shows and infer/deduce

The writer implies/shows ....

we can therefore infer/deduce

3. oops!! *imply*

I do a show don't tell activity.

EG

Give them a sentence ' The wind stretched out her long arms towards the darkened sky and danced wildly...'

Ask them 'What is the writer showing/implying in this sentence?

How can you infer/deduce this?

Inform them that writers/poets often show an emotion/atmosphere etc without telling the audience directly.

Give them sentences: The tall building.
    The boy was crying.

etc and ask the pupils to rewrite using SHOW DON'T TELL technique.

Next step ask them to swap books and their partners to write a PEE Sentence ie:

(P).... is implying that the weather is ... '....'(E) From the word 'wildly' we/I can infer/deduce....

Hope this helps.

Got brain freeze at the mo.. marking dismal sh1t Y10 c/w folders (oh dear I can predict poor 2009 results!!)

V

4. PEE is good for lower abilities because it forces them to go through each stage without over-complicating things.

Foe my higher groups, I use SPEED (or sometimes just PEED)

Signpost
    Point
    Evidence
    Explain
    DISCUSS

I find that without this last bit, their explanations are very simplistic and not usually enough to hit the higher grades. :)

5. Thank you all so much for your responses, they are great!

6. xg!

xg! New commenter

PETER - Point, Evidence, Technique, Explanation, Reader.