1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pedants get on my ****! no need for it!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, May 22, 2011.

1. I cant believe there are people on here reading the posts just looking for any english/grammar errors and then posting even if it has no relevance to the topic!
    You know who you are! There is no point to it! if someone can get their message across then their is no need to comment on their grammar - IMO!
    i hate the way you comment as if you are superior because you have spotted other peoples errors and typos which they often are rather than genuine misconceptions!
    I know there are some in here like no ' in cant and a small i as a pronoun but i do not care it is understood so it does not matter!

2. yeah punctuation is like so overrated i mean who needs it its not as if it makes things easier to understand or anything meaning is quite transparent even without it and as for grammar well word order is important not and all that other stuff is pointless too good for you regency

3. I misread the title and thought it said "pendants get on my ****". And I thought "shorten the chain then".

4. Ha ha..* Doomzebra's a pedant*..*Doomzebras' a pedant*...*Doomzebras a pedant*

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm sure we've all seen this...
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't
    mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt
    tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset
    can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is
    bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the
    wrod as a wlohe."

6. Lol @ glittery.

7. I am not arguing for the abolishment of punctuation or other grammar protocols, but rather that people on TES do not need their grammar errors pointed out each time they make one.
    e.g. if someone typed man instead of men or someone wrote a word in the present tense rather than past.

I am all for pulling up a spelling mistake or grammar mistake on a roadsign, menu etc as that has obviously (or you would hope) been checked and proof read prior to being displayed. However posts on TES are often written in a hurry and are no checked for errors.
    See I have made one in that last sentence which could look like a grammatical error but I just missed the T off not!

8. Doomze bra's ape dent?

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Grammar? Nah.

It only makes the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

10. shame its more fun

11. dAnt
    That'll learn me.

12. Good one, Lilachardy![​IMG]

13. Lol Lil. I bet you don't use that with the year 8 English class....then again.

14. lilachardy

I'm not allowed to teach writing.

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

is that a good thing?

16. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Surely you meant
    There is no point in it! <u>If</u> someone can get their message across then <u>there</u> is no need to comment....
    [​IMG]

17. I'm with you on this one, it drives me nuts, especially when it's their only contribution to the thread. You'd think teachers would have enough marking to do without sifting through TES forums to look for corrections they can offer!

18. And even more so when it shows complete disregard to anyone who may have dyslexia or similar. You'd think they would know better. I believe it also mentions in the 'etiquette' section on here that you should avoid doing it...

19. lilachardy

Typos and errors are fine. But it does annoy me when people believe they are spelling correctly when they aren't. That one definately gets my goat because I am a poor speller because nobody has ever pointed out to me that I get it wrong. For some reason I don't pick it up when I'm reading. For example, until I was 22 I spelled it "immeadiately". Personally, I appreciate it when people point out my errors.

(Yes, it was deliberate.)

20. He he ...Lils' being naughty.