1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PEDANTS ANONYMOUS;

Discussion in 'English' started by inky, May 10, 2002.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

And another one tonight. BBC question setters don't understand alliteration, it seems.

On "A Question of Sport", a "correct" alliterative name was "Chicago Cubs".

3. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

From a secondary school's English Faculty website:

"Spelling, punctuation and grammar is now taught more rigourously. with all pupils at KS3 taking part in a reading and literacy lesson once a fortnight".

The same site promises: "There are teachers in the Faculty".

That's good to know.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It's been more than a year since the laat post but I'm sure it could live to fight another day...

5. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

After a year the school's site has not been changed. Presumably nobody thinks it important enough to check.

6. markuss

Do we think that the grammar of "Spelling, punctuation and grammar is now taught..." is non-standard concord?

They could argue that it's correct.

Noun phrase plus "and" plus noun phrase structure usually goes with a verb in the plural.
    "The fish and the chips are well cooked." "The bread and the butter are on the table."

But that is not always the case.

"The fish and chips is cheap here." "The bread and butter is free." Both clauses have Standard English grammar.

Moving on to grammar, punctuation, and spelling, we could think along the following lines:

"GPS is assessed by test paper."
    "GPS (grammar, punctuation and spelling) is assessed."
    "Grammar, punctuation, and spelling is assessed by means of the GPS test paper.

Yes, you can have a singular verb when the different elements are seen to make one item. The school has put the elements in a different order from "GPS" (perhaps thinking that spelling is the most important) but they could argue that the "is now taught" is correct.

(However, the spelling and punctuation of "rigourously. with..." cannot be defended!)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Rott Weiler likes this.
  7. markuss

Recently came across a small chain of shops selling women's clothing ("BRANDED GOODS FOR LESS") that's called "YOU KNOW WHO'S".
    Could it be the old ploy (made famous in "Open All Hours") to get pedants inside and turn them into customers?

8. markuss

Watching a film on TV, "Agatha and the Truth of Murder", we looked at each other when Agatha Christie had a line "... twenty six years more than Archie and I". Hmm. Did the script writer want us to think that this was the sort of grammar Mrs Christie would use? Apparently not because later on, another character, Daphne, said "He beat my mother and I." So, it seems to be the script writer's English rather than a deliberate mistake put into a character's mouth.

If educated people make this blunder, you have to wonder if there are teachers who insist on "so-and-so and I" and never teach that "so-and-so and me" is sometimes correct.

9. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

The owner may refer to him or herself by the title ‘You Know Who’...

10. markuss

OK. Course he could. Lol.

11. markuss

Dangling participial thingy irritates me.

Get letters saying "Dear Markuss, As a valued customer we..." They are NOT a valued customer.

Just been reading a news report about he sentencing of a Hatton Garden robber. It says:

"After being convicted and sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court on Friday, Judge Christopher Kinch QC told him: "Your role was a central one. You were at the heart of the core activities that had to be carried out."

The judge was not convicted! I know it's obvious what it means and what it should say but it's so clumsy!

12. markuss

Having criticized "Pointless" (referred to above in 2602) I am happy now to offer congratulations.
    In a programme I saw the other day there was a category "Acronyms and Initialisms".
    Pleased to see that someone knows that abbreviations such as "NAHT", "GCSE", PGCE" and "OCR" are not acronyms.